The ball: Night two

Super important A/N !!!!

I changed the last chapter a little. She has until the second night to discourage Henry and on the third night, should she not succeed, she will be announced as his new bride.

*************************************************

Just as the first night, a dress was prepared and sent to my manor.  This dress was sent with a beautiful set of  crystal decorated shows that I adored. When I opened  the dress box, my eyes nearly popped out of my head to see the beautiful black lace.  I watched as  Paige looked at the dress with longing. A smile slipped upon my face and I pulled the dress from the box.

"It will look lovely on you." I tell her, sitting on my bed. She whips around too face me, mouth agape.

"W-what do you mean?"

"I mean, you better turn around quickly and let me help you because we are going to the ball."

"I couldn't..." She said, giving me wide eyes that held just enough hope and wonder that I didn't feel bad for my next words.

"As your employer, I demand you attend the ball." I ordered. She gaped at me before smiling so brightly I thought I might be blinded. Tears started glossing her eyes and she wrapped her arms around my waist.

"Thank you."

And that was that.

********            ********

I wore another dress I had gotten a few month ago to the ball, figuring Gabriel wasn't going to see me anyways so he would never know. I also recognized that I had to overcome my anger towards Henry and somehow let him see I was not for him. When we arrived to the outskirts of the ballroom, Paige was instantly swept away by a dashing man. The smile she threw over her shoulder as she left was heart warming and made me happy. I felt a hand around my waist, I looked up to meet the eyes of a very happy Henry.

"Enchantè." He said, placing a chaste kiss on my hand. For some odd reason I blushed furiously. Last night was odd and seeing him so happy pulled at my heart strings. Who was this man? Surely it was not the Henry I knew. I pulled away slightly, confused at the odd tingling sensations that rippled through me. Lacing my arm through his, we proceeded onto he dance floor. He pulled me tight, starting the dance and as we swirled my thoughts plagued me. I didn't know how to gauge our relationship, how I felt about our relationship. Was it possible to have a change of heart in as little as twenty four hours?

"What troubles you Ella?" Henry asked in a low voice, his breath fanning my cheek. I gripped his hand tighter, gazing right into his eyes. What was it that had changed?

"Nothing." I said, then distangled myself from him, abruptly ending the dance. I left him standing alone, a look of amazement etched into his features. People from the sidelines stared and I saw a flood of finely dressed girls rush to him. Whether he followed or not, would determine so much. I didn't expect him to, I had done the one thing a king, especially Henry, would deplore. I made him look foolish. I fled into the hallway, past the guards far down into the dimly lit hall. Finally I stopped, pressing my back against the cool stone wall, I took a deep steadying breath trying to find my head. Why did I have the strangest feelings of sadness, knowing I had succeeded in my endeavors? Why did I feel such sadness after my triumph? It was what I wanted, wasn't it? I heaved a sigh, pressing my forehead against the stone. Suddenly, hands were around my waist and I was being pulled into a warm body.