Where my troubles begin

The next few weeks were filled with me giddily bustling around the house. I was extremely nervous, jumping whenever someone called my name or made a loud sound. I had never kept a secret from my family before(Gabriel first had to propose the idea to his father before he told my father), I was starting to realize why. I was a horrid mess. I was a mess, but I found I was content with this state, if only because it was a state of pure elation. Every night I went to sleep smiling, and woke up with it still stretched across my face. I feared I would be stuck this way, then instead of marrying the prince I would be hired as the court jester. I really was quite content, though. In those few weeks I had not one worry, not one predicament. If only I knew that peace was a fickle thing, that it was not meant to last, especially if Prince Henry was somehow involved. If I had to pinpoint the exact moment my life became complicated, if I had to narrow the start of my troubles down to a single moment, it would be the moment the royal messenger found himself outside Reaper's stable.

I was brushing Reaper when someone from behind coughed. I whipped around pulling my dagger from the folds of my dress. I always kept one on me, per my fathers directions. I turned pointing it at the intruder. The young Paige stood with his hands in front of him, brown eyes wide in shock. I let out a short breath and replaced my dagger back into the folds of my dress.

"Good morrow Daniel." I said politely. I gave him a reprimanding glare. He hung his head slightly, a smile curving at his lips.

"You are lucky I did not skin you alive. I believe I told you to never sneak up on me." I said turning to brush a lock of reapers black mane.

" I knocked, Milady must have not have heard me." I looked at the boy smiling a little. He grinned cockily.

"What brings you to my stables? " I asked Daniel. He shrugged.

"Nothing, seeing as this does not belong to you. Isn't that right Reaper?" He said approaching the large beast. Reaper whinnied in response, nuzzling the boys outstretched hand.

"I do believe you are quite the brown noser." I said laughing. I began to clean the brush, turning to put it away. I saw a flash of pale hand, and heard the crunch of my horse noisily munching on one of Daniels stolen treats. I turned around to glare at him.

" Do you purposely try to fatten my horse?" He grinned sheepishly. I knew Daniel loved Reaper as much as I, but he was also quite poor. He worked as a Paige for the king, a position I secured for him, and the small wage he made went to helping his family. Though apples were not terribly expensive, he did not have the money to spare.

"Forgive me milady, I do not aim to fatten your horse, only to show him friendship." I smiled at his admiring glance. I moved towards my horse, laying a gentle hand upon his back.

"Well he does appreciate your kindness, but you should not waste your money.  You best remember you have other priorities, Daniel." I told him sternly. His smile faltered and he bowed his head. For a moment I could almost see the weight that sat upon his narrow shoulders.

"What brings you here? "I asked again, swallowing the lump rising in my throat. Daniel perked up once more, and tucked his hand into his satchel. He unfurled a royal scroll, and quickly handed it to me. He also handed me a piece of parchment folded into a neat square.

"The Prince paid me extra to deliver this to you." He said. He reached a small hand out to me. I giddily reached for the thick letter that sat between his thin willowy fingers. I swallowed and forced myself to open the scroll first. My heart pounded like a stallions hooves against the earth. I unfurled the thick parchment, took a deep breath and began to read.

By command of the King,

Three balls will be held in honor of Prince Henry. These balls will begin on  the third day of April. At midnight on the third night, Prince Henry will announce a maiden of his choosing to become his wife. Every eligible maiden must attend.

I frowned at the scroll. I didn't think I would be attending the ball, was I even to go? I wondered if I still qualified as an "eligible" maiden. I must have, considering the fact that Gabriel had personally sent this to me. That reminded me of the other letter, and I whipped around to pick it up. Maybe it would explain what was to happen, if Gabriel had told his father. I ripped the red wax and pulled out the thick letter.

 Ella,

I know you are probably confused by this invitation to the ball. I hope you will let me explain before coming to any conclusions, as I know you often do. Don't frown at me that way, you know I say this with the deepest adoration.

I hadn't even realized I was frowning.

I invited you for two reasons. First, your sisters are required to come, seeing as they are eligible. The second reason being the small fact that I have yet to talk to my father. This is not for any reason other than the fact that my father has left on a hunting trip. Sadly, this means you must attend, but he will be back in time for the ball. I will propose this idea to him the moment he is in my vicinity. Trust in me Ella, and I will see you at the ball.

Love,

Prince Gabriel

I frowned at his signature. He had never, not even once, referred to himself as "Prince" to me. It was strange and equally obnoxious. A strange tickle of distrust fluttered at the depth of my belly. I knew I would not attend the ball, if it was the last thing I did.