Avoiding the Ball and Failing Miserably

I had a very elaborate scheme involving the ball. I know I was supposed to attend it, after all I was personally summoned by the prince, but I had the oddest feeling that it was a trap. After my sisters got ahold of the invitation, there was nothing that could shut them up about it, and thus began my plan. My sisters went into town to find the best seamstress , and I went around the house purposefully booby trapping it. I hammered a nail into the banister so I could rip my dress on it. Hopefully I would rip it bad enough that my mother would not allow me out of the house. If it didn't work, I could shut it in the door and rip the back off (I've actually done this before, it was dreadfully embarrassing), or let it hang from the carriage, and let it tatter. I felt a slight sense of guilt for planning to ruin a new expensive gown, but I could not go. You are probably wondering why I don't just fake an illness, and I will tell you.

My mother would not give two flying figs about my illness, only that I find my inner lady, and struggle through it. She said that's what makes a woman strong. I say that's what makes us weak, always putting on shows for pompous men who don't see us as anything but tools to continue a name. Ugh. Men.

On the night of the ball, I stood at the top of the staircase, readying myself for the fall. As it turns out I didn't have to do anything,  my sisters were cause enough. My youngest sister flounced around the corner knocking into me.

"Watch where you step you klutz!" She told me, sticking out her tongue. I narrowed my eyes.

"I was standing perfectly still you ditz, watch your balance. Mother would be in disgrace if you were to trip in front of the prince." I told her matter of fact. She humphed and turned her back, her skirts sweeping into my moving feet, making me lose my balance. I fell into my other sister, who promptly pushed me aside, into the railing and down the staircase to the feet of my mother.

"Now who's the klutz." A voice muttered from the stairs, I groaned from the fall, rolling over to see my mothers new dancing shoes.

"Just wonderful Ella, simply wonderful. Are you trying to embarrass me?" MY  mother huffed. I stood dusting my skirts, realizing i had ripped them in the fall. I hung my head, mostly to hide the cheeky grin that threatened to make an appearance.

"Sorry Mother." I said lowly. She harumphed and turned away to snap at a servant girl younger than me. The girl scurried forward, carrying a white box wrapped in robin egg blue ribbon.

"This came for you, along with a personal carriage. Seems the prince has taken a liking to the mouthiest of my children." She raised her eyebrows at me, turning to attract the attention of my sisters, who stood at the top of the stairs with their mouths agape.

"We'll be seeing you at the ball Ella. Come along girls." My mother waved a hand to the girls, who quickly shut their mouths and threw their shoulders back, heads in the air like respectful Ladies. I snorted as they exited.

"Come miss. I have strict orders from the Madam." Said the servant girl, who's name was paige.

"Paige, for the last time. Stop calling me miss. We're friends enough, are we not?" I asked in exsasperation. She gave a small smile as she pushed me into my chamber, and started pulling at the laces to my dress.

"Paige, I really don't want to attend this monstrosity. Men who think they are so much better, milling around a room. Heads high and riches flowing. They don't deserve it Paige, and yet they have so much." I turned to her grasping her bird like hands. "Why can't good things happen to all of us? Why do we need permission from a man? You are good people, I'd like to believe I also am. You deserve so much more. " She looked up at me, tears pricking the corners of her eyes. She let go of my hands, pulling me close.

"Thank you." She whispered. "At least you give me hope, for a better future." I hugged her tightly.

"You deserve more than hope." I told her. She pushed me away, finishing unlacing my dress. She pulled the new dress from the box, a lovely soft purple that made my golden locks shine and hazel eyes glow.

"Beautiful." She sighed, her quick hands hand me laced into the dress faster than I thought possible. Against my protest, she pushed me down stairs and into the carriage.

"Have a lovely night, miss. Try not to get yourself into too much trouble." She said, she then nodded to the horseman, and I was off into the night, not knowing the damage that lay in store.