The ball: night one

The carriage bumped as it hit the cobblestone courtyard of the palace. My stomach flitted nervously. I had been here many times before with Gabriel, but somehow this time seemed so different. Maybe it was because the torches were lit, creating an intimate mood. Or maybe it was the other girls, who were spilling out of carriages looking more beautiful than I ever could. The coach man pulled to a stop and the door swung open. A hand from the footman was held out for me to grab. I ignored it, stepping out by myself. I looked at the castle in awe.

Banners hung every which way, creating a sense of elegance and a fear that I would never belong. And in my deepest heart of hearts I knew I never would. I was a lady, that was true, but I was not the kind any respectable family would easily except. Too mischevious, my mother tells me, too wild. I make my way up the stairs, gathering my skirts in hand. The other girls swept by me in a frenzy of poofy skirts and giggles, making my stomach sink further. I made my way into the ballroom, trying to not be stepped on in the mist of all the ball goers.

I pushed my way into the entrance, trying to peer over the heads of other people to find Gabriel. I had just spotted him when I was suddenly yanked sideways. I let out an indignant gasp, turning to give my assailent a piece of mind when my eyes connected with the mans. I looked over his features, frowning slightly. He looked familiar, but I didn't understand why. I pulled my arm from his grasp lightly, straightening my shoulders and raising my chin.

"How do you do?" I ask the strange man, bowing. He was attractive with Hus dark hair and light eyes. He had long eyelashes that would usually accompany a womans eyes, but seemed to enhance his in the best of ways. Still I was warry of him, the way his lips curled into a smirk, the familiarity of his smile. He gave a curt nod, kissing my outstretched hand.

"Care to dance?" He asked, leaning forward slightly. I wasn't sure if it was an intelligent idea, dancing with this strange man. But I will admit he intrigued me and that was enough for me to accept. I took his hand carefully, His large hand swallowed mine whole and I fumed inwardly as my heart warmed from his touch.

"Womanhood looks well on you, Cinders-ella." The man remarked. I tensed, my head snapping up to meet his. I clenched his had, digging my nails deep into his skin. He winced but continued to smile. I realized why the man looked so familiar, and I glared.

"Henry. You know how I hate that name." I growled. He chuckled, placing a hand on my shoulder blade to start the waltz. I grasped his hand and shoulder tightly. He bent forward slightly while we moved,putting his lips near my ear.

"Now, now Cinders-ella you must'nt scowl. " He clucked his tongue playfully. "People might think you dislike my company." I harumphed and he chuckled, swinging us around.

"Well they wouldn't be far off, I've never been a fan of yours." I couldn't believe I actually found him attractive, and I instantly regretted doing so because he knew. And I knew he knew because he was smirking down at me, his eyelashes crinkling as he smiled.

"You forgot me Cinders ella. Really, I must say I feel awful that you could forget me. I thought I had made such an....impression." He chuckled as I scowled again and I 'accidentally' missed a step, stomping forcefully on his toes.

"Oops. Pardon me, charming." I said in a innocent voice, looking up out of my eyelashes to meet his angry eyes.

"Don't call me that, Ella." He warned,tightening his grip. He might of sounded scary, if I hadn't known that I could take him.

" Why? Surely you're proud of your title? Why do they call you that again? I heard it was something along the lines of ' We call him Charming because he can charm the corset off any unfortunate maiden'. I'm sure thats it." I said loftily, smirking up at him. His face was emotionless, passive in a way that nearly gave me a heart attack, but his eyes were burning into my soul and for some reason I quieted myself. He did not say anything for the next few minutes. In fact, the orchestra had gone through the rest of the song and the next before he spoke again.