16- All In A Night's Work

"And the Wildcats scored another touchdown, winning another incredible game!" The announcer cheered, sending the crowd into a frenzy. Everyone stood up and cheered for our team, stomping on the bleachers.

The cheerleaders waved their pompoms as the team ran off the field. Dylan ran toward me, nearly knocking the wind out of my lungs. I laughed as I hugged him back, congratulating him. After he had enough, he shifted to Jaz, then Emma.

This was the closest game yet. The score was 8-9, with us in the lead. The only game we had lost so far was the away game. Dylan went on and on about how it happened because his good luck charms weren't there, meaning our friend group.

"Can I pleaseeeee join your sleepover? I promise I'll be good," he begged, his lower lip jutting out. I looked at the invited parties. Jaz didn't seem to care, but Emma was frantically shaking her head. I hoped to finally hear what happened between the two tonight. I just hoped she'd be open to admitting it. 

"Sorry bud, girls only. But, you can stop by tomorrow morning if you want to come shopping with us," I suggested, much to his disappointment. He groaned like a child and shook his head. 

I grabbed both the girl's arms and led them toward my car. Will was generous enough to give them rides so they wouldn't have to drive over separately to my house.

As soon as I got in, I blasted my special car ride playlist. It was meant for these types of nights, where we sped on the roads with the windows down, singing along. 

"Take me to your best friend's house I'd love you then I'll love you now," we screamed at the top of our lungs. To anyone else, we'd sound tone-deaf, but to me, we sounded perfect.

The wind whipped our hair wild. I kept seeing my blond locks mix with Jaz's brown. Emma's head popped in between our seats, screaming in our ears.

Each light we passed was green, never letting the energy pass. I even took the long way home, wanting to keep the night lasting forever. 

We finally pulled into my house. The engine shut off, leaving us in silence. It was odd, pushing us back into reality. I tried not to linger in the moment for long. I forced a smile and got out of the car, even though I felt empty. That's just how it was sometimes, at the end of a good memory.

"Hey girls," my mom called out as we entered. I was surprised to see her still awake. When she saw my confused face, she smiled. "I just wanted to make sure no boys were coming over."

"Mom," I groaned, pushing my friends up the stairs. They didn't know about Dean spending the night and I wasn't planning on telling them. "Goodnight."

She softly chuckled and I waited for her bedroom door to close before closing mine.

We all changed into our PJs and I pulled out a variety of face masks. We each picked one and scattered to the bathroom to apply it. I chose a green one, while Emma had a pink one and Jaz had a clear one.

"Ladies, loving the masks. Really brings out your eyes," I said in a serious tone. They giggled at my lame humor. We each took a seat on the floor in a big circle. "So, any of you going with homecoming dates?"

Emma flashed a sly smile. "It hasn't happened yet, but I think I have a contender!" 

"Wow, that's a big word, and you used it properly? Good job!" Jaz teased. I gave her a disapproving look and gave Emma my full attention.

"Okay, he goes to our school. He's on the football team, and I was staring at him all day."

"It's not Drew, is it?" I snorted to mask my anxiousness. She shook her head. "Who?"