Strangers

- Vic's P.O.V - 

"How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?" I asked Kellin, a goofy grin on my face. 

Kellin glanced over at me, "I don't know...five?" he quirked an eyebrow at me. 

"Pfft-" I covered my mouth with my hands, muffling the sound of my laughter, it was useless.

He blinked a couple of times, "What's so funny?" his eyebrows were furrowed together in confusion, he's too adorable! 

I'm pretty sure I should've been prepared for the person who was approaching us, although I really wasn't. Jaime walked up to us with a smirk I've never seen him wear before, he glanced down at our hands, smirk growing wider, "I see the rumors are true, huh?" he chuckled, "Wow, Kellin. It feels like just yesterday you were handing out invitations to your fifth birthday party, doesn't it?" he looked over at Kellin with a terrifying grin on his face. 

Kellin gave him a blank look, "Do I know you?" he asked, studying Jaime's face. 

Jaime's eyes widened in anger- I think, to me he just looked constipated. "Of course you know me! We've been buddies since before high school!" he mustered up some shit laugh. 

Kellin shrugged, "I guess." he mumbled, "I should get going now, Vic and, uh..." he tilted his head to the side, squinting his eyes in Jaime's direction. 

Jaime gritted his teeth, "Jaime." he muttered angrily. 

"Kind of sounds like Jamie, doesn't it?" Kellin chuckled, "I'm kidding Jam-Jaime! It was nice meeting you, I'll see you around!" he waved, walking off into the opposite direction. 

I pursed my lips at the scene that had just unraveled in front of me, "That was...mildly embarrassing," I broke out into small fits of laughter, "Oh boy, that's gotta hurt!" I smacked my knee. 

Jaime clenched his fists, "Not as much as much as he's gonna be hurting once all of this is over," he let out a bitter chuckle, "Phase one: complete." he went ahead and made that constipated look again. "Oh, I just came over to remind you about not getting too attached to him," he sighed, "He's probably going to hate you in the end anyway," with that he walked off. 

He's going to hate me? 

- Kellin's P.O.V - 

Jaime, huh? The name sounded oddly familiar, and I really wasn't sure why. I was too busy thinking about the guy that I didn't even realize there was another guy standing in front of me, "Kellin Quinn, right?" he asked, his gruff voice sending shivers down my spine, he hit puberty really soon. 

I looked up at him slowly, he had a smaller build than I'd expected. The only thing that surprised me was the fact that this dude had a beard, in high school! It looked really fluffy, like it was fun to pet, though his eyes were a gentle green color, which really helped compliment his light brown hair...god must be really proud with how he put this one together. "Yeah?" I finally spoke up, after studying him a bit. 

He chuckled, "Wow, didn't think I'd run into you so quickly. I'm Benjamin, but you can call me Ben!" he scratched the back of his neck feebly. 

Benjamin? It sounds so old fashioned, 'Would you like some tea, sir Benjamin?'. I was feeling really tempted to ask him that, I should probably wait though, I don't know if this guys' the, 'Oh, I'm easily offended!' or the, 'Hey it's cool, just say what's on your mind!', type. After all, we did just meet? I think. "I'm Kellin, but you can call me Kellin." I tried adding as much enthusiasm as he did, though I just ended up failing miserably, "Oh, how do you know who I am?" I covered my tracks quickly. 

Ben thought for a few seconds, "Who doesn't know who you are? You've been getting so much attention since you walked in, of course, not all of it is good attention, per say...but damn, I'm even hearing about you in the senior hall!" he exclaimed, grinning proudly. 

"Attention for what?" I asked dully, not quite grasping onto what he was getting all hyped up about. I haven't really done anything worth getting attention for, have I? 

He laughed, loudly, "For dating the school's hotshot, obviously!" his smile was very overwhelming. 

"How is that worth getting attention?" I sighed, is this really all it takes to get others to notice your existence? High school is stupid. 

He mumbled something under his breath, "Isn't this a huge accomplishment? I mean, you're new, aren't you?" he asked. 

Just when I thought he was a friendly person..."I've been going to this school since my freshman year," I muttered monotonously. 

His eyes widened, "So the rumors are true, Vic's going out with a nobody!" he exclaimed, not seeming to mind that the 'nobody' he was talking about was right in front of him. 

I nodded slowly, "Yup." by now I was too drained to even pretend that I was interested in this conversation. 

"Oh, I'm sorry! It's just so surprising, it's not like someone like Vic to get together with someone like...well, you. No offense," he waved his hands in front of his face. So this is what people mean when they say that it's still possible to take offense even when you're told not to. Ah, all of these communication tips are finally coming in handy. "Doesn't it seem a bit suspicious to you?" he spoke up again. 

My eyebrows shot up at the question, suspicious? I mean, sure it's a bit odd that he suddenly took a liking into guys, unless he was closeted this whole time? I'm not sure what there is to be suspicious about though, over the time that I've been spending with Vic, I've come to learn that he's actually not all that bad...once you set aside his stupidity and arrogant-ness? I glanced over at Ben, "What's there to be suspicious about?" I asked, returning my gaze onto the ground. 

He took a while to respond, "What if he's using you?" he asked seriously, I laughed, Ben frowned, "It may sound stupid, but it's possible! People are unpredictable, so you never really know..." he mumbled, seeming genuinely concerned. 

I opened my mouth to speak, when the tardy bell rang. 

"Oh, I better get going!" he chuckled, "I'll see you around, Kellin Quinn!" 

Why'd he feel the need to use my last name? "Oh wait!" I shouted, he turned around to look at me with a questioning gaze, "What's your last name?" I asked, I just now realized how familiar he looked. 

He grinned, "Mullins." 

*************

Oh snappity snap snap