15. The One With the Girlfriends

As Bender brushed his teeth with one of Claire's cosmetics, she looked at the pictures he had in his wallet. Mara sat on the floor, watching Bender and Claire's interaction. She still didn't know what to do or think about her situation with John. He tried to do everything in his power to let her know that he was interested in her. Even though he had the reputation of someone who used girls as objects, with her he was different, and Mara noticed that.

She still liked him, but she wasn't going to be played with. She needed to make sure that he was serious about liking her and only her.

"Are all these your girlfriends?" Clara asked, looking through Bender's wallet.

"Some of them..." he responded, looking at Mara, who looked away from him.

"What about the others?"

"Some I consider my girlfriends and some... I just consider," John stated, looking through Claire's purse.

"Consider what?" Claire asked, not understanding him.

"Whether or not I want to hang out with them," John answered.

"You don't believe in just one guy and one girl?" she asked him. Mara took the opportunity to see his expression. She wanted to hear his answer. Looking at him, she noticed the small gulp that appeared in his throat.

"Do you?" he asked Claire.

"Yes, that's how it should be," she responded.

"Not for me, except lately, I am considering just one girl, but it seems she doesn't want anything to do with me," he stated, looking at Mara who only stared back at him.

The answer was for her. She didn't know what to say. It was obvious that Claire noticed too, because she stared at Mara, but neither of the girls decided to say anything about it.

"Why do you have so much shit on your purse?" Bender spoke, releasing the sudden tension that began. Mara stood up quietly and walked over to where Brian, Andrew and Allison sat. They were on the floor, making a circle.

She didn't know what they were talking about, and at that point she didn't care. All she wanted was to be away from Bender and his confusing words.

Why did he have to say that there was one girl he was considering more than the rest? Why did he look at her?

She understood that Bender liked her. He had even mentioned it but trusting the rumors more than the rebel himself gave her the sense of confusion that she was starting to hate.

Could she give him a chance? Could she let Bender know how she felt? She needed to have a conversation with him before detention was over. She was going to let John Bender know that she liked him too, but there was only one way that she could trust him. He needed to be with only her and no one else.