4. The One With the Acknowledgement

"What do you say if we close that door? We can't have a party with Vernon checking us out every few seconds," John said, walking towards to the veranda and sitting on it.

"You know the doors are supposed to be open, so..." Johnson responded, getting cut off in mid-sentence by John.

"So what?" Bender replied annoyed.

"So why don't you shut up? There are five other people here, you know?" Andrew asked angrily.

"God, you can count. See, I knew you had to be smart to be a wrestler," Bender acknowledged.

"Who the hell are you to be judging anybody, anyway?" Andrew responded.

"Really," Claire added.

"You know Bender, you don't even count. If you disappear forever, it wouldn't make any difference. You might as well not even exist at this school," Andrew spat, making Mara look at him. She understood that even though Bender took things a little too far, and insulting each other was something Andrew and Bender were doing, sometimes the wrestler said things that no one should say to others, no matter how much those others were hated.

"You are out of line, Clark," Mara told Andrew. She noticed how John's expression became from annoying and teasing to one of sorrow. It hit him hard and she was the only one at that moment who saw it. John Bender knew how to hide his emotions very well, but Mara knew how to read people. It was a blessing and a curse.

"Well, I just run around and join the wrestling team," John rejoiced, getting laughs from the popular pair.

"Maybe the prep club too, student council," John added, hiding the fact that what Andrew said, hurt very deep inside of him.

"Nah, they wouldn't take you," Andrew said, laughing.

"I am hurt," Bender pretended.

"You know, guys like you knock everything," the princess had something to say which gained the attention of John as well as Mara. While holding her color pencil, she looked at the girl in the first table, when Bender said that whatever she was going to say should be stunning.

"It's because you are afraid," she said

"Oh God you richest are so smart, that's why I am not heavy in activities," he answered.

"You are a big coward," Claire added.

"And what are you?" Mara questioned, making the princess look towards Mara.

"I am not talking to you. I am talking to him," Claire fumed.

"You might as well," Mara thundered, gaining a stare from Bender. He had a mixture of confusion and gladness in his facial expression. Mara didn't know what to expect next.

Why was I defending him so much? she thought.

Mara's questionable answers invaded her thoughts as the rest of the students kept talking. She couldn't hear them, because she was having her own arguments in her head.

She always understood Bender's predicament. She was a rebel herself. He was not only considered the bad boy of Shermer High School, but also a criminal. They never hung out together, but they never were hateful towards one another. Gaining his respect meant something for her that deep down she didn't get.

"Does this mean that I have a thing for John Bender?" she questioned in her mind. She was somewhat attracted to him, but she never followed up on it. Sharing this experience with him showed her how much she liked the male rebel. It had to be the only explanation for her actions. Their dialogues became unfocused for Mara, until she noticed that Bender sat in a chair between Claire and Andrew as Vernon's voice was heard outside the library.

As John walked to the entrance of the library, Johnson spoke, "We are not supposed to be doing any monkey business."

"Young man, have you finished your paper?" John asked, pointing towards Johnson.

"Come on Bender, don't screw around," Andrew demanded, while John messed with the door's screws.

"Bender, knock it out!" Mara shouted, earning a smirk from John.

"What are you going to do?" Claire asked, staring at the bad boy.

"Drop dead I hope," Andrew retorted. Bender ignored all their comments and continued to play around with the door.

As Johnson responded with words that Mara was not able to understand, Bender finished what he was doing, and sat in his usual spot. The door closed instantly and some of them started to argue with John. Mara knew that if Vernon found out what John did he was going to be in worst trouble than he already was. It was too late to fix it, but hearing Andrew and Claire fight with John made it worst.

"Shut up!" Mara yelled, getting their attention. John repeated the expression because they knew that Vernon was close. Andrew didn't follow and kept fighting John with his words.

Mara massaged her temple, knowing that she was going to get a headache. Knowing that Vernon was going to be pissed, and thinking that they were going to be in worst troubles, she closed her eyes, trying to ease the pain that was soon approaching.