7. The One With the Jerk Persona

While Andrew and Claire continued their conversation, Bender mixed the cards from the drawer he was holding. Hearing what they were talking about, Mara kept drawing in her book. Her concentration was interrupted by Bender's words. "Who do you like better?"

Mara turned her gaze towards the students talking, and noticed that Bender had asked that question to Claire.

"What?" the princess questioned.

"You like your old man better than you like your mom?" Bender asked, looking at Claire.

"They're both screwed," she responded.

"Who isn't screwed nowadays?" Mara retort.

"True," he responded to Mara as he smirked, but then he looked at Claire's direction once again.

"No, I mean if you had to choose between them?" Bender interrogated.

"I don't know. I'll probably go live with my brother," Claire said after thinking for a short moment.

"I don't think either of them gives a shit about me. It's like they use me to get back at each other," the princess added, making Allison scream at her. Everyone looked at the quiet kid in the room. Mara shook her head and laughed at the absurdity Claire was expressing. She wanted attention.

"Shut up!" Claire snapped, looking at Allison.

"Don't take it out on her. You just want attention," Mara expressed, folding her arms in front of her chest.

"You are just feeling sorry for yourself," Andrew said, surprising Mara. She never thought that the wrestler was going to agree with Mara or any of the other kids besides the prom queen.

"Yeah if I did, nobody else would," Claire defended.

"Oh you are breaking my heart," Andrew responded. Soon their argument was interrupted by Bender. "Sporto, do you get along with your parents?" he asked, throwing the drawer away and getting off the veranda.

"Well, if I say yes I am an idiot, right?" Andrew replied.

"You are an idiot anyway," Bender preached, standing in front of the wrestler. "But if you say you get along with your parents, you are a liar too," Bender added, staring at Andy.

John walked away when Andrew didn't respond. The wrestler followed him and pushed Bender.

"Hey!" Mara shouted, getting up from her seat. Bender looked at her and with his eyes pleaded that she stayed out of it. She debated whether to do it or not, but deep down she knew that Bender was going to be alright.

"You know something man, if we wouldn't be in school right now, I would waste you," Andrew raged, getting in Bender's face.

Mara observed the interaction between the two boys while they spoke. She didn't know what to expect, but she didn't like that they were getting in each other' faces. Trying to calm them, Johnson stepped in the middle only gaining a push from the wrestler and the criminal in the room. That single action didn't stop Johnson from continuing.

"I don't like my parents either; I don't get along with them. Their idea of parenting is just whacko," Johnson said, getting interrupted by Bender saying, "You are a parents' wet dream."

As they continued to speak, Mara let some of the words disappear. She sat back in her spot. She stared at her hands as she thought how this day was turning up. Talking about parents both irritated her and made her think of her own. She was always grateful for her mother.

Kicking her father out of the house, because of his abusive behavior was something Mrs. Sanders had to do, when her daughter was very young. Growing up, Mara understood why she didn't have a relationship with her dad. She hated him. He was always getting home late and slapping her mother around. Getting rid of him was the best thing her mother did for them.

She always helped her mother out, because she knew that taking care of a teen, while working in a diner, and receiving the minimal wage was hard. She loved her mother very much, and everything she did was for the woman who gave birth to her, and did everything so her daughter could have a roof over her head and food on the table.

Snapping from her thoughts she heard when Bender spoke to Claire as he stood very close to her. "Are you a virgin?" he asked, looking at the princess in front of her.

"I bet you a million dollars that you are," he continued. Mara looked away, trying to block his words. It was obvious that she didn't like how he spoke to her. She liked him, and it was inevitable the jealousy that emerged at that moment.

"Let's end the suspense. Is it going to be a white wedding?" John added.

"You need to shut up!" Claire yelled, but Bender continued.

"Have you ever been felt up? Over the bra, under the blouse, shoes off...hoping to God your parents don't walk in?" Bender added

"Do you want me to puke?" Claire responded, sounding off.

"Over the panties, no bra, blouse unbuttoned, Calvin's in a ball on the front seat past eleven on a school night?" John continued, looking at Claire.

"John!" Mara exclaimed, looking at him. Not only did she hate seeing him flirt with Claire, but also she understood he was going too far. Even though she wasn't in good terms with the princess, she knew that Claire was a woman, and Bender needed to respect her privacy.

Bender looked at Mara, and saw the intense stare she was giving him. He didn't respond, but deep down Mara saw a little bit of guilt in his eyes.