four.

When she walked up to his desk, he intended on evading her mind, but to his surprise, she was good at shielding her thoughts

When she walked up to his desk, he intended on evading her mind, but to his surprise, she was good at shielding her thoughts. He tried probing harder, but not too hard, for all he needed was for her to collapse under pressure.

He was surprised she was good at this, and that she knew how to do it. But then again, she was the brightest witch. He wondered what she wanted so badly to hide. Whatever it was, she was not letting up on her shields. He watched her face. It was screwed up in a concentrated way. A slight sweat worked its way to her eyebrows and her skin lost its color. She looked on the verge of giving up. Just when he felt triumphant, her barriers were slowly being let down. He was just about to enter a thought when a student came barging into the classroom.

He snapped out of his concentration and snapped his glare at the student who ran in. It was Miss Luna Lovegood. He rolled his eyes and sighed. He heard Miss Granger intake air and he looked at her. She looked relieved that he was unable to see anything.

He stood up. "Miss Lovegood, what is it!?" He asked in a tempered tone. She ran up to the desk and stopped short for breath.

"S...sir, there's.... dueling students.... in the hallway!" She said pointing her finger at the door. Just as he was about to snap at her, there was a loud boom from the halls. He made his way around the desk and proceeded to the doors of the classroom. The Lovegood girl hot on his heels. He stopped and turned back to the girl leaning against his desk for support.

"Miss Granger, you are dismissed." He didn't want to dismiss her, but he had to. He didn't know what was going on in the hall and he didn't know how serious it was, so dismissing her was the logical thing to do. He walked through the door way and found a Slytherin girl and a Gryffindor girl bustling around with each other on the floor. Their wands both casting curses into the air, missing each other by inches. He ran down the hall, dodging the spells that flew his way and grabbed both of the arguing girls by the arms.

"Enough!" He yelled. They both stopped and looked at him. He was surprised to see that none other than Ginny Weasley was the Gryffindor bustling around with... Pansy Parkinson!? He was furious. He expected better from his house. "50 points from Gryffindor and 50 points from Slytherin for fighting and wand dueling in the halls. You will both serve detention for two weeks with Mr. Filch." They both started arguing about who started it as he let them go. He glared at Miss Parkinson and she instantly shut up, she knew how to respect her elders when reminded. As for the Weasley girl, she started pointing her finger at Miss Parkinson and saying she started it.

He pinched the bridge of his nose and looked behind him. Miss Lovegood was still there. He turned to her. "Miss Lovegood, escort Miss Weasley to her head of house." She nodded her head and walked up to an exasperated Ginny. She linked arms with her and walked away. He turned to Miss Parkinson and glared at her. "50 points Miss Parkinson! I expect better from one of my students." He said. She started speaking.

"But sir, she..."

"Don't let it happen again, Miss Parkinson!" He said, his voice dangerously low. He turned from her and went back to his classroom.