The Drop In

Ariyah-

Before I knew it, I checked my watch and three hours had passed by. I am close enough to the house now that I can sneak in and they'll have no idea that I got side tracked quote on quote. I snuck down the hall, and peeked in at my parents just enjoying themselves and full of laughter between each other on the couch. They must of heard the floor creek cause they both stopped simultaneously and turned my way. I knew they could read the worry on my face cause they both instantly looked scared. Dad was first to pop up off the couch and came over to me. He placed his hands on my shoulders and looked me right in the eyes. Mom stood up with her hands clutched to her chest. Perfectly in sync with one another they asked me what was wrong.

I wasn't sure how to start the conversation and the stalling made the concerns grow. Mom questioned me on if something bad happened and I just shook my head no. I could feel the first tear start to run down my face as I told them I had something serious that I needed to confide in them. Mom walked over and knocked dad's hands down and took me into a comforting hug, whispering in my hear that whatever it was they'd help me through it. I lost it. The flood gates open and I cried my heart out. My entire body started shaking. She tucked my hair behind my ear and asked what was troubling my pretty little mind.

If only she knew that in my mind my thoughts were usually anything but pretty. The words came out like vomit, "I believe it's time for me to spread my wings and explore my past. I've been so terrified that I would hurt your feelings in the process." Trying my hardest to keep reminding them that I appreciate and respect everything that they have ever done for me. They both know that due to my lack feeling like I belonging here, I've struggled socially. It's had a major impact on my self confidence.

Dad looked at mom and mom back at dad. He looked back and me and said, 'Baby, you know you don't need to feel guilty. I can see it written all over your face. We knew this day would come eventually. We've been preparing for it ourselves.' I gave in and admitted that I have been feeling extremely guilty without a doubt. I told them all about my conversation with Emma and that that's where I hurried off to right before lunch. Before I could process my next sentence, the tears started streaming down my face again. Staring at my feet I expressed how grateful I was that they took me in with open arms when they found me and I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. I needed them to always know that they both mean the world to me.

They approval I seen in both their eyes when they smiled at me, made me feel like I was making the right decision. I've had this gut feeling that I need to figure out my past and here lately I feel like it's constantly at the forefront of my mind. Usually, I can push it to the back of my mind but not lately. When they found me, I was all alone, tucked into a little basket. Draped across the top was my baby blanket and the pendant. Explaining that I was headed out to find the truth behind those trinkets was tough but needed. I'm not sure where it will lead but knowing that they do support to the fullest will make the journey that much easier.

Mom agreed with dad in saying that they had expected this and even planned for it. Making me cry once again by pointing out that they'll back me up no matter what choices I make in life. They'll both know that I need this closure, I need to put it all to bed and until I get answers I wont. I pulled them both in for a bear hug and thanked them continuously and told them I loved them unconditionally. This moment right here is all I'll ever need to know that everything will be okay. They know just how to wash all the worries away! Now, I know it's time to find out the truth, for the first time, I'm finally not afraid of what's to come!! Wiping my eyes dry I told them I'd be back shortly cause I was gonna go take a stroll.

Walking into my bedroom, I went straight for the closet. I need something more weather permitted. It's still a bit warm so I was thinking of some athletic shorts and a band tee, but I'll take my hoodie just in case it does cool down more. I walked over to the screen door frame that separated my bedroom from the back patio and just processed everything that just transpired between my parents and I. Am I really ready for the this journey? At least I have the the rest of the summer to simmer on the idea before I take my next step. Mom always said, believe you can and you will, so here's to me putting my faith into that motto.