Who I Am

Ariyah-

Growing up I always felt out of place, like I didn't belong. I've never had that spark or connection with anyone. Which in return has made it very hard to make friends. Don't get me wrong family is all I have ever needed and my foster parents have been nothing shy of amazing. But I want more, there has to be more than this, right?

Opening my eyes, after hearing the radio blaring, as the sound of my alarm, I start rubbing them in hopes it would help me fully wake up. I needed to get out of this bed, I can only day dream for so long, I supposed. If I know my mother, she already has breakfast made and is giving me the stink eye, secretly through the walls. Just like any other morning though, she's just going to have to wait just a tad longer. Stretching and letting out, what seemed to be a never ending yawn, I kicked the blankets off. Looking like a child in mid tantrum, I kept kicking until my other foot was released from the blanket's grip. When they were finally off, I dropped both arms like dead weight and sighed, loudly. After a few moments, I swung my legs to the right and was met with the cold, wooden floor. Slipping my maccosins on, I headed for the bathroom.

I let the towel fall before stepping into the shower, the water was already scorching and steaming up the glass frame, almost like a sauna. It was soothing, but still had a little sting, as each bead of water ran down the middle of my back. As I finished letting the last clump of shampoo suds run down the length of my brunette hair, I couldn't help but to sing a little tune that has been stuck in my head, since my alarm went off, by Travis Tritt.

"And it's a great day to be alive. I know the sun's still shinin' when I close my eyes. There's some hard times in the neighborhood, but why can't every day be just this good?" Everything about this song was surreal about my life. Even through the hardships and my lone wolfness, I try to live each day to the fullest extent.

The reality of how hot I had the shower was brought to light when I noticed how damn cold the floor tiles were. Forgetting where I took my slippers off, I skimmed the room. Of course...I left them on the other side by the door. Quickly, I tip toed over to slip them on. Now that I've showered, I'm one step closer to actually maneuvering through this day. Gaining a little more motivation, I started smelling that amazing southern cooking all the way down stairs. She did it again. She made my all time favorite, biscuits and gravy. Hopefully, she didn't forget the coffee this time. If my stomach could talk it would be screaming, begging, for me to let the food party in my belly at this very moment. Realizing how foolish I sounded, I just chuckled and opened the door.

Now, back in my room, I take in the dull color scheme plastered throughout the room. I can only assume it's a perfect representation of how I see myself. The grays are just a constant reminder of my loneliness. Walking over to the floor to ceiling window, I cant help but to get lost in the scenic view. Just looking at the sun already peeking through the trees. I just love it. The view could turn any sour mood into a happy one. The trees just set off a gravitational pull, it's like my mind is constantly telling me to run, be free from this crazy world. It's hard to explain without sounding like a complete nut job, but it's my happy place. Slamming my palm to my forehead, my shoulders slumped. I realized as much as I love this distraction, I need to get moving. Just have to grab my pendant before I head downstairs.

Margaret-

Standing in my rustic decorated kitchen, I just can't help but to proud of the woman my little girl has become. I don't know the truths of her or her birth family's past. I do know that as a mother, whatever it was, had to be the hardest thing in their lives to give up such a kind loving soul. I just wish I could say the same about her time management. Clinging to my coffee cup, I feel the frustration beginning to reach a boiling point waiting for her to step through that dark pine, paneled door. Suddenly it's all released in one gasp, "ARIYAH!!!! If you don't hurry your butt up you're going to be late!!"