Prolouge

Prolouge

He was my best friend for as long as I can remember. His mom and my mom had been living together because my mom had nowhere else to go. They were very close. Romeo was one year older than me and we did everything together. We would always make clubhouses and would try to live in them but they eventually got torn apart. We did all kinds of things. I remember a time when I was 6 and he was 7. He dared me to climb up this really big tree.

"I don't wanna." I'd said.

"Chicken! I bet I can do it." He started climbing up the tree with ease.

"You're gonna fall Romeo!" I yelled.

"I can go higher!" He was really high up in the tree. He was having a difficult time at this point.

"Romeo! Get down!"

"I can't! I'm stuck!  Katrina help! My foot is stuck!" he yelled in despair. I ran inside to get help. I found Christine in the kitchen.

"Christine! Christine! Romeo is stuck in a really big tree!" I yelled as I pulled her outside.

"Oh my goodness! Romeo! What are you doing up there!" Christine screamed.

"Momma, help me please!"

"Ok, Romeo don't move." But it was too late for that. Romeo had pulled himself free but in addition he had lost his balance and tumbled headfirst towards the ground. Christine screamed as he hit the ground we both ran to him. He wasn't moving and Christine was crying. I started crying too.

"Christine is he dead?" I said as Christine rushed him into the house.

"No!" she exclaimed, "Don't you say that! You hear me?"

"Yes mam." I said quickly. Christine was on the phone talking frantically. We would've been able to drive him to the hospital but my mom had the car. Christine had Romeo on her lap. She looked like she was praying. Romeo's arm was bent in a weird way and he was bleeding from his head. This really scared me. The paramedics came 5 minutes later. They strapped him to a table with wheels on it and put him in the trunk of the ambulance. We rode in the trunk too. When we got to the hospital me and Christine had to wait in the waiting room while Romeo was rushed into these big doors. We waited there for like an hour. Then a doctor came and told us that he had a broken arm, a broken shoulder blade, and a concussion.

"Can we see him?" I asked.

"Of course you can." The doctor replied. He led us into a room where Romeo was sleeping. I will never forget how broken he looked. But he turned out to be ok. He was all healed and well about 4 months later and still climbing trees as if nothing happened.

I remember me and Romeo was in our room playing our PlayStation a year after the tree incident. We heard Christine and my mom arguing. We were nosy children. We had paused the game and listened to their argument.

               "It doesn't matter Nicole! You still brought this filthy stuff into my house and I do not appreciate it!" Christine yelled furiously.

               "Why you trippin' it's not like I'm hurting anybody!" my mom yelled back.

               "Nicole it is not just the drugs. It's the drinking, the being out late all the time. You hardly spend time with your own child. You're not paying your half of the rent and I just can't take it anymore!"

               "Look Christine, I'm an adult. I have the right to do whatever the hell I wanna!"

               "Oh really well you have the right to get hell out my house."

               "You know what fine I'm gone. You ain't the only friend I got." Then Nicole stormed out of the house. Christine I had seen us watching and we hurried back into the room.

               "Whoa." Romeo said. "I never heard my mom cuss."

               "Me either." I replied.

Later that day, when me and Romeo were settled in our beds, we heard my mom come in.

"Katrina start packing all your stuff. We leave in the morning."

"Where we going mommy?"

"We are moving somewhere else."

"No! I don't wanna go! I wanna stay here." I said forcefully.

"I don't care! You better have all your stuff packed by the time you go to sleep."

"I don't want u to leave Katrina." Romeo said quietly.

"I don't wanna leave either." I felt the tears in my eyes spill over. I started crying. Romeo came over to my bed and gave me a hug. He started crying too but not as loud as I was.

"I'm gonna tell my mom to let you stay ok." He said. He got up and walked out the room. I curled up into a ball and continued to cry. I didn't wanna leave I wanted to stay here with Christine and Romeo. Romeo came back into the room and he did not look happy. I already knew I was gonna have to leave. Romeo helped me pack all my things into 4 suitcases. He gave me his boongoggle bracelet he made in art. 

               "Something to remember me by." He said. I wanted to give him something too. I looked around and saw my favorite teddy bear keychain on my book bag. I unhooked it.

               "This is for you to remember me by." I said as I gave him the keychain.

               "Thanks." He smiled. "Hey lets stay up all night and enjoy your last hours here."

               "Ok."

For the next 3 hours we spent making clubhouses, playing hide and seek and making midnight snacks but we fell asleep.

The next morning my mom woke me up really early like at 6:30 am. She said we had a Jitney, which is basically a ghetto version of a taxi. I woke Romeo up to say goodbye.

               "Romeo, I'm leaving." I said sadly.

               "Aw." He got up and gave me a hug and a kiss on the cheek.

               "I'm gonna miss you."

               "I'm gonna miss you too. You gonna call me every day right?"

               "Yea, I promise but only if you call me too."

               "I will."

Then I heard my mom yell for me. Romeo and Christine helped me get all of my things in the car.

I gave Romeo and Christine one last hug. I saw that he had my teddy bear keychain in his hand. I wanted to cry but it just wouldn't make it easier for me. Me and my mom got in the backseat of the car. We started to drive off. I wave to Christine and Romeo out of the back window. I watched them until they was out of sight. I sighed.

That was the last time I saw Romeo. My mom managed to get an apartment California that was way across the country from Romeo. I started crying as we headed to my new home.