Chapter 19 ~ Danielle's POV

I laid in my bed, the last few memories of the night before fluttered around in my head. There wasn't any way to get rid of them, everything was still so clear, clear like looking through a glass. The house was quiet, all the kids were either asleep or over at their friends. I was alone, the way it should be, silently I stood, listening for sounds that wouldn't be made.

I walked down the hallway to the front room and looked around. The kids had either been gone for several hours or been asleep for a few, mom was at work, and Jace, well Jace was somewhere. I'm not expected to keep an eye on him, just the opposite actually, he has to keep an eye on me. It was almost midnight, not long before at least one of those little brats would wake up, hopefully I could escape by then. I grabbed my bag, walking to the fridge I grabbed a bottle of beer then headed out the back door. Swinging my legs over the rail, I sat there for a minute just staring out at the water, trying to remember the last time I had acutally fallen asleep or had a solid full meal, I couldn't remember.

I hopped off of the rail and walked towards the pier, thoughts encircling me as I neared the water. I remembered Meghan from the night before, how scared she was when she woke up in my arms. I wanted to keep holding her, she was like a young child, I'll never forget the look of panic on her face when her eyes flew open, had she taken one more step, she would have fallen, and there wasn't any was that I could have caught her. I wanted to hold her, to stop her from shaking, I wanted to stay with her that night, I didn't feel like I should have left her.

My phone rang, nearly scaring me to a heart attack.

"Hello?" I said, question raising in my voice, I didn't recognized the number.

"Danielle? Is that you?" someone asked on the other line,

"This is Danielle, who's asking?"

I heard a breath of relief, the person began talking again,

"It's Meghan, can you come over? The house is empty, and I'm scared, please." her voice sounded so far away, so small. There was something about Meghan, her voice, that made my heart jump into my throat.

"Yeah honey, I'm on my way."

I slid my phone back into my bag then took off for Meghan's house. I walked along the beach, my shoes picking up pieces of the sand and flinging them away. I walked through the back door and called out to her,

"Meghan, I'm here. Where are you honey?"

I heard footsteps running down the stairs then I saw her as she rushed towards me, launching herself into my arms. She was crying, I could feel the tears on my shoulder, I slid down the wall then held her on my lap and let Meghan cry. I didn't know what else I could do, I just held her, rubbed her back and eventually placed my head on top of hers. We sat like that for a while, Meghan had stopped crying, she was still sitting on my lap, her head resting on my shoulder.

"Don't leave, please." she begged quietly, I nodded to her in the dark,

"I promise, I would't ever leave you like this."

I tightened my arms around her, ensuring her that I wasn't leaving. Even though she was right there, it felt as if Meghan could have been across the room, I didn't know why she didn't want me to leave, but I knew enough not to leave her. Together, we just sat on the floor of her kitchen in the dark for a while, I knew she was scared, of what I didn't know, but I did know she was scared. I gently picked her up and walked upstairs to her room. I laid her on the bed, thinking she was asleep, I turned to sit in the chair across the room. I felt her hand reach up to mine,

"Lay with me, please?" she begged, her bright eyes looking up at me, pleading. I nodded to her, and sat down on the bed, she laid her head on my lap then closed her eyes again. I started to doze off, the lack of sleep was finally catching up to me, I felt Meghan sturr then she started to thrash around. Before long she was screaming, screaming as if she was falling. She was calling someone's name, someone named Sam,