Chapter 1~ Pilot Chapter

• Dedicated to Sarai Lopez

This chapter is dedicated to Sarai, who has helped me write this story. I came up with the idea when we were at the guesthouse in Italy. Actually… it was when we first got to Italy, I was bored and I wrote down my thoughts. She read it a few times, and helped me quite a lot. Thanks for everything Sarai. Love you

~Bree

Everyone had told me that life would eventually get better. Life goes on, so many people had told me countless times. There was no way I could believe them. Not after watching my best friend die right before my eyes.

Samantha had been sick with cancer for a while. Her leukemia symptoms had just kept coming back. When she was four, she had been diagnosed with a curable case of childhood leukemia. Her doctors had told her family that it would heal with some chemotherapy, but they were wrong. When Sam was six years old, she returned to the hospital for the fifth time that year. The doctors had said that her leukemia had grown too strong, resulting in them giving Sam 'till her eighth birthday to live. So when her eighth birthday had rolled around, Sam and I spent the day in the hospital. It seemed like all we were doing was waiting for her, to see if she would live through the night and be alive to see the sun rise the next morning. Sam is an amazing person, she kept fighting all throughout the night, and when morning came, she had shocked the doctors once more. I like to think of Sam as a miracle, because I know that she is just that. Sam was strong; she lived through her eight year of life on the planet and then went on to live for five more years. When Sam was seven years old, her hair had fallen out as a result of the Chemo, all of her long, amber hair had fallen out. So I had been right there with her, and shaved off all of my sun-kissed golden hair, just so Sam didn't have to go through cancer alone. It seemed like her once bright, electric blue eyes just got cloudy. The color never seemed to return. When she was well enough, Sam went to school, but she could only manage for so long before she would get a nosebleed so bad that the ambulance would have to come to the school and whisk her away, back to the hospital. So today when Sam had her thirteenth birthday, she was celebrating it out of the hospital. The first one, Sam had a few friends over to go swimming, and later that night I was going to sleep over at her house. Around seven that night, Sam's mom had called my mom, saying that we were going to the hospital. Sam had a really bad nosebleed, and soon she began to vomit up blood. My mom had met us at the hospital, where she took me away for a while... so Sam could get the treatment that she needed.

When I got back, I began to panic; there was my best friend, lying in a hospital bed; unconscious, with far too many needles sticking out of her seemingly small arms and hands.

"Sam," I whispered trying to choke back the tears, "Sammy can you hear me. I know that you're in there somewhere. Hang on, please, Sammy, hang on and fight."  I heard the doctor come in as I was sitting on the edge of my best friends' deathbed.

"Meghan, how are you holding up? Considering everything that has happened?" asked Doctor Mitchell.

"Holding myself up, barely treading water. I just hope that she is going to get better." I replied truthfully, letting a tear begin slip down my cheek. The doctor walked over to Sam's bed, and whispered,

"Don't worry; I'm pretty confident that she will survive through-out the night. Don't worry, she has shocked us so many times before, I am ninety-nine point nine percent sure that she is going to survive, there will be a twenty-four hour nurse to watch her all through-out the night. SO now you can get some sleep, there is no one in that bed. You are welcome to it." Dr. Mitchell whispered pointing to the empty hospital bed next to Sam.

"Thanks Doc." I replied sleepily, ignoring his offer and lying down next to Sam. The doctor smiled and walked out of the room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~