I Missed You

I remember when I moved in a new flat. It was rather small, just two rooms and a kitchen with a bathroom (since childhood I used to live in a huge flat, we had a large house).  

“But I do not need more.” I arranged my things in one room and made a bedroom with work area in another. I take my favorite laptop, headphones and devices for sound recordings (yep, I like singing) and soak myself in a subject for the whole day.  

Time raced by and I didn’t notice how it’s became dark. I went to the kitchen to make a supper a la “hot cup of coffee”.  

It’s too quiet and somehow uneasy in the new flat, but I attribute it to the fact I haven’t used to loneliness and responsible life. I sit waiting when kettle boils. Suddenly, I hear rustle and quiet rapping. Sound has come from other room. 

I came to corridor and listened. The sound came for the bathroom. Light in the flat was turned off, I felt ill at ease. I cannot say I’m a skeptic as it’s false. You know, that’s the way any scary stories about new flats start: someone hears a strange sound, he comes to its source – and there’s a boogieman (well, you got it).  

I ruined the light on and came to the bathroom. It seemed, the sound became louder and it made me fear. I harnessed my willpower and touched the door knob as everything faded away. No way to shift the blame on rats. I thrust the door – nothing. Of course, I started to calm myself saying it was the new flat, that’s why something loomed, etc., anyway my heart was full of anxiety. I was even scared. I went to bed. Everything was quite in the night.  

On the second day everything was okay. Almost. My neighbors were gloomy and reserved, but they didn’t manage to spoil that day. However, it became worse in the evening. Whispers and knocking in the bathroom appeared again along with water dripping and strange soft hissing. I was afraid, even if is a trifle for you. However, scarcely had I touched the door knob, everything ceased.  

Whether I like it or not – I need to visit the bathroom after all. When I was washing, the thought that someone was watching me never left me. Certainly, I turned round, but could see nothing (or nobody) strange.  

Everything was the same for a time, but as the days grew longer, the storms were stronger. My things disappeared. At first some minor items: soap, tooth brushes and so on. Further, some clothes disappeared after each laundry. As you understand all of this is connected with the bathroom. I took a priest home. After his visit everything ceased, but for short while. Then I took a decision to move out. Yes, I paid hard-earned money for that new flat, but I couldn’t stand it anymore.  

“Well and good. In return, I would live in security.” 

A new flat was waiting for me. It was more expensive, and this fact brought hope for restful life. I met my new neighbors who turned to be nice and kind-hearted people. Everything was great, I settled down to a quiet life. About a year passed, I forgot the previous flat. It didn’t announced itself long while. Up to a certain time. 

It was evening. I heard subtle tapping on the door. Neighbors? Why didn’t they ring? I came to the door and opened it. There was nobody. I came out to the stairs. Having looked round and understood that there was nobody I continued to record another fandub.  

Later I heard some fiddling in the bathroom. I came to the bathroom with reluctance and was about to open the door when I felt an unwinking stare. I looked back, but saw nothing. I turned and hardly had I opened the door when someone grabbed my foot. I cried out of fear and suddenness… but I saw nothing. 

I felt uneasy and decided to back to the bedroom and go to my dreams. Only in the morning I understood I had forgotten to turn off my recording devices. I decided to listen to what they had recorded during the night. In the beginning everything was quiet. Them I heard quiet fuss as if it had been in another room. Then I heard the door to my bedroom had opened and some thing passed into my bedroom at a brisk pace. I heard the “some thing” had sat down on my bed. I was scared. I couldn’t think of moving out, I hadn’t enough money. I decided to live there for a while.  

Curiously enough, everything was quiet and calm for several days. I even forgot that record.  

That day I came home late, it was dark outside the window. Firstly I went to the bathroom. My hand stopped suddenly near the door knob. Again that steadfast gaze. You know, when someone is watching you, you can say where the gaze comes from. I looked down. It was looking at me. Someone’s eyes were looking at me through a door crack. Frightful, but like human eyes. I gave a cry. They disappeared in a heartbeat. I got hysterical. I was scared. I started to bundle. A wonder was that I had suddenly fallen asleep. I had fallen asleep in a rush and fear. The next day, having woke up and remembered the last evening, I sprang to collect my things.  

When I was about to leave (or rather come back to parents), I cast a look at the bathroom. The door was half open, I saw a piece of paper. It was a note written in an uneven hand: “Sorry, I didn’t want to scare you. I missed you.”