Old Mr Jones

This happened in our village one day. I returned home after a vacation. I unpacked, everything was fine. And the next day, late in the evening to our backyard came a neighbor from another street, old Mr. Jones. He is already around 70 years old, as far as I remember. This old man sometimes behaved quite strangely. 

He knocked on my door. I opened. He came into the backyard, walked around from fence to another fence, then sat down next to a shed on the block of wood. During all that time he didn’t say a word. I tried to get him to talk, but he remained silent and just stared. I gave up and went on with my business.  

Then my mom came out of the house and she began swearing at him, grabbed a pitchfork and began poking him, scolding him and chasing him away from our backyard. I tried to stop her, but she just shrugged. And when the old man was gone, she told me that Mr. Jones actually died two months ago, but in the evening he comes out of nowhere, wanders around the village, comes into people’s backyards, and sometimes even attacked people and bit them. At first, everyone was scared of him, got almost petrified with horror, but in several weeks they got used to the situation and now just get angry and curse. If you chase him away – he leaves. 

It went on until September. Then the men feared that the ground would freeze up soon, and he will keep bothering people. So they dug out his coffin and stuck an aspen stake into his heart. After that the old man stopped showing up.