12

Early start to the morning = crabby Rose. I've never really been a morning person. Dimitri is, even when he first gets up you'd think he'd been up for hours. I didn't used to mind the mandatory morning training sessions I had with him, back at the academy. I got to spend one on one time with him, of course getting up early was worth it. But now. Now is a different story, I woke up so tired and grumpy, Dimitri just sat there laughing at me as he sipped at his coffee. "Cheer up my love, I'll make the day worth it." He said cheerfully as he walked over to me to give me my coffee. Along with the coffee I got a delicate kiss on the top of my head.

"The owner said he'd put on breakfast for us this morning, so that's something we don't have to worry about." He said as he sat down beside me. "Mhmm, food." That brought a bit of perkiness to me. I took a big mouthful of coffee then got dressed. He of course, was already dressed. Ugh, so organised. Once I was dressed we made our way downstairs, as we got closer I could smell the food. I'm sure I actually started drooling! The pups were sleepily following behind us, they too were tuckered out by all the travel. The owner really went all out to feed us, there was a massive spread all across the big table in the dining room.

I spotted the sausages and quickly went to sneak a couple for the pups. I paused mid-grab when I heard a deep laughter. "No need to sneak them food, I've already put a bowl out for each of them." I turned to see the owner, smiley as ever. He pointed in the direction of the two dog bowls, full of somekind of home made food. "Don't worry, it's really good for them. I make the same for my own dogs." Wow, he's a really nice guy. I sent the dogs to eat, they chowed into the food so it must have been tasty. We sat down and dug into the food, I was so hungry and the food tasted amazing. Shortly after we had started eating, Sydney and Mark joined us. They too were appreciative of the food. Once the pups had finished eating they came and laid down by our feet, so well behaved!

The owner, Jim his name was ended up joining us as we ate. He was super lovely, and a good chat. "If you don't mind my intrusion, what are those interesting tattoos the two of you have on your necks?" This question made me choke on my mouthful of juice, after swallowing it I had a coughing fit. "Sorry, I didn't mean to catch you off guard." The man was sincerely sorry. I cleared my throat and took a decent breath to regulate my breathing again. "It's fine, they're um... They're cultural. A lot of people in our culture end up getting some throughout their lives. Some may only get a couple, others get heaps." I gave a kind smile as I spoke, I think I did a good job at covering the truth. "Huh." He said, face deep with thought. "I had some drifters like you come through a while ago, they bared the same marks, well one of the marks you both have. They weren't so kind, and they seemed to be up to no good. Cops ended up coming through looking for them, for assault or something like that."

We were all shocked to hear this. "Some people in our culture fade out, end up taking a different direction with their lives. They often end up in troubling situations, sadly, it happens." Dimitri piped up, saving me stumbling for an answer. "Well, at least you two seem to still be on the straight and narrow. What about you young lady, that gold tattoo upon your cheek is very interesting." Sydney blushed from the direct attention. "Different culture." She said nervously. "Different values." She added. Jim noticed her unease and decided to leave her be. Once we had finished breakfast we thanked him then headed back up stairs to organise our stuff to leave. We put everything in the car then headed back to the front desk to checkout. We thanked Jim again then headed on our way.

When we went shopping for snacks, we found these cool things for the pups. They're a set pf deep double bowls that attach to the back of car seats so they can have food and water while traveling. They much appreciated the constant snacks when they felt like being awake during the drive. With them settled in the back seat we went to get into the car, but Dimitri stopped me. He wrapped his arms around me and pulled me close. "I told you I'd make today worth it." He said mysteriously as he kissed me. As he pulled back away from me he placed the car keys in my hand. I squeaked with excitement. "You're kidding!" I exclaimed, he just shook his head as he smiled. "You get to drive, for part of today at least." He kissed me again then defiantly opened the drivers door for me. I literally jumped into the car.