thirty eight ▋walk without the stars

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

Chaeyeon's heels clicked with every step she took down the marble hallway, the sound echoing throughout the nearly empty halls. If anyone was still around to hear her approaching they knew it was time to escape while they could. The Caporeigme was in a good mood today, she felt better than good even. She felt fantastic, every inch of her body powered by a jolt of energy and glee to give herself more of a pep in her step.

She hadn't felt this energetic in a few months, her mood constantly in the depths of hell thanks to the unfortunate scolding and work she was placed under by the Godfather and the Underboss. However, things have been looking up for her in the past two weeks, bringing her this newfound motivation to go beyond and succeed in every aspect of her work she was given. Chaeyeon may have suffered a loss in the process, but she had a good feeling about this time. That everything was going to change for the better soon enough.

"Ms. Jung!" A shrill voice called out. The woman stopped in her tracks, her heels skidding across the marble floor and creating ear piercing screeching noise.

Chaeyeon crossed her arms in annoyance, not wanting to be bothered when she was in such a gleeful mood but gave the person the time of day either way. A woman appeared in her sights when she turned around, practically holding her breath now that she was face to face with the Caporegime. "You called?" She asked her, her silvery words falling off her tongue with ease. The woman tensed up at the sound of Chaeyeon's voice, barely being able to speak over a whisper thanks to the nervousness that pushed its way into the forefront of her actions.

The woman blinked her eyes a few times, trying to snap herself back into reality to address the situation as professionally as she possibly could. "I've... I've been sent by Bae Jinyoung," She explained, fumbling around as she pulled out a clasp envelope from a bag she had slung around her body. "According to him, it's the information you had asked for a few weeks back."

"He's done!" Chaeyeon exclaimed, snatching the envelope out of the woman's hands with hungry eyes. She quickly scanned over the envelope once before going over again slowly and more carefully, breathing in its fresh paper print smell like it was a relic lost in time. On the top right corner of the envelope was a small handwritten note that was addressed to her, in the handwriting of none other than Bae Jinyoung himself.

Careful, the man had written, all the information you could ever ask for is in this envelope. Treat it like fine china, or I'll have Jaebeom put your head on a silver platter for me. Signed, Bae Jinyoung.

She snorted at his note, rolling her eyes as she dropped her hands to the side. "Sly bastard. It took him long enough anyways." Chaeyeon an annoyed smile donning her face as she looked up from the envelope to the woman that still accompanied her. She seemed unsure of what to do next, attempting to quickly think of a way to excuse herself from the presence of the Caporegime. "If you don't mind me asking," She began, catching the woman off guard. "Where are you heading next?"