Be Your Everything (Chapter 10)

"Kristine...."

I can feel someone slightly shaking me.

"Kristine...."

"Yeah?" I said groggily. I tried to open my eyes. It was Kayla.

"You over slept. So I made you brunch," she smiled.

I got up slowly. Kayla officially is the best roommate ever. She made breakfast and lunch in bed.

"You okay?" she asked. I could see the worries in her eyes.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I said as I took a piece of bacon.

"You're eyes are stuffy," she pointed out. Crap. I forgot. I cried myself to sleep last night. I couldn't stop thinking about Zack. "Were you crying?" she poked me lightly.

"Uhh..n-no," I tried to cover my eyes.

"You can tell me everything," Kayla said.

Then I thought about it. Can I tell Kayla? I trust Kayla, with all my life. But Zack doesn't want anyone to know.

"It's nothing. I was just upset from last night. I felt like a third wheel," I looked at Kayla, hoping that she bought my lie.

Kayla put her arm around me. "Aww...it's okay. Next time, you shouldn't agree to go with them anymore. It's just wrong."

I nodded. I didn't want to say anything anymore. I decided to tell Kayla, when it's the right time.

The past few weeks were tough. School was worst. Everyday I see Zack, it gets even harder to look at him. I acted like nothing's wrong, and so did Zack. Isn't he worried?

It was finally after school and I was going to my locker when I saw Ally putting books on hers. She turned around and saw me.

"Kristine!" she called. I walked toward her.

"Hi Ally," I said less enthusiastically.

"You okay? I noticed you've been...off the past weeks," she said in a worried tone.

"I'm fine. No needa worry." I tried to force a smile.

"I know there's something wrong. Tell me, please," she begged.

Should I tell her? I mean, she does deserve to know, right? But then I couldn't. I couldn't bring it up.

I took a deep breath. "Ally, I don't think you and Zack should date any longer." She looked at me. "It's for your own good. I don't want you to get hurt."

Her expression looked surprise. "What're you talking about?"

"It's just th-"

"Is it because you're jealous?" she accused.

I couldn't believe it. Why would she think that? "No! That's not what I meant-"

"Why Kristine? I thought we were friends."

"Ally, I'm not jealous! I just-just"

"What?" she folded her arms across her chest.

"Look, Ally. I am not jealous. I can't tell you 'cause... I kinda promised not to tell anyone."

"You know you don't need to make up some lie just because you like him too," she glared at me.

I stood agape at her. She's kidding. She better be kidding.

"Why would you think that? You know me better than that!" I was getting frustrated. "You know what? Go ask Zack yourself."

"Fine!" she turned back to her locker.

"I can not believe you! By the way, you're welcome for everything!" I stormed off.

"What's going on?" Zack asked, coming down the stairs.

"Ask your girlfriend," I said as I walked past him.

That night, as I was trying to focus on my history exam, Zack texted.

"Can I come over? I wanna talk."

I looked at the time. 8:15. Still early.

"Sure," I replied.

Fifteen minutes later Zack arrived at my apartment. "Hey," I greeted as I opened the door. I noticed the sad look on his face. "What's wrong?"

"I told Ally," he sighed.

I wrapped my arms around his neck to hug him. "What'd she say? Did she take it well?"

"Not really. She didn't want to believe me at first. But then she started crying...so I guess she finally understood."

"I don't blame her for crying," I joked.

"That's not the only reason why. We kinda broke up."

I pulled away. "What? Why?" I was shocked. But at the same time, I felt kinda happy.

"I broke it off. I don't want her to suffer because of me," Zack said.

"Suffer from? You're a great guy Zack! Any girl would be lucky!"

"But I'm having a hard time. Sometimes, I have some short term memory loss or something."

Tears were threatening to come out. No, I can't cry in front of him.

"Come in," I opened the door wider.

Zack sat on the couch. "You want anything?'' I asked.

"No, thanks. I'm fine." He motioned for me to sit next to him.

"Hey, are you busy this Saturday night?" he asked.

"No," I quickly answered.

He smiled. "Great. I want you to come with me. There's some kind of carnival going on and my supposedly band is going to play."

"Really?" I've always wanted to see him play. "Of course I'll go with you!"

Zack smiled wide. Damn, his eyes were even greener and brighter. I remembered those eyes in fifth grade.

Then suddenly, those eyes were getting closer. I didn't notice we were both leaning in. Just when his lips finally touched mine, I heard Kayla call me from upstairs.

"Kristine!"

Zack and I both jumped from her voice. I forgot, she was home.

"Kristine, can I borrow some-" Kayla stopped when she saw us. "Oh."

"Well it's getting late. I'm gonna go," Zack said as he got up from the couch. "Bye Kristine. Bye Kayla."

I smiled and waved at him before closing the door.

"I interrupted something, didn't I?" Kayla asked. "I'm so sorry," she said.

"No it's not that," I sighed "he invited me to watch him play this Saturday night."

"Awesome! So you're going?" Kayla asked.

"Yup!" I was almost jumping.

"Wait, isn't Ally gonna be there?"

"No worries, they broke up today."

Kayla was speechless. Then she smiled wide. "Good."