Be Your Everything (Chapter 5)

It was finally lunch time. Kayla suggested we should eat out instead. We drove to the nearest deli, fifteen minutes away from our school.

I sat down across from Kayla after getting out sandwiches. "How come Mike didn't go?" I asked.

"He had to do some make-up work that he missed. He said he'll be coming later on, so it's just me and you for now!" Kayla said cheerfully. I do miss going to lunch with just us two.

"Oh yeah, and Kayla, I kinda invited Zack to go too. I texted him to meet us here."

Kayla smiled. "See, you do like him."

"I was just being friendly," I blushed.

"Then why are you blushing?" she noticed.

"I am not!" I protested.

"Mind if I join you ladies?"

I turned around and Zack was standing behind me. Did he hear anything? Oh how I wish he didn't.

"Go ahead," I motioned to the empty seat next to me. Kayla gave me a sly smile. I gave her a look.

"So how's first day so far, Zack," Kayla said starting the conversation.

"Alright. It's not that different from my old one," he said.

"You miss Hawaii don't you?" I asked.

"Kinda. But it's great to be back. I didn't even recognize a lot of these guys," he laughed.

"What're you planning on doing this year? Any clubs? Sports?" Kayla asked.

"I wasn't planning on being active this year. And sports? Not my thing."

"So what are you into?" Kayla asked.

"Music, I guess. I was in a band back in Hawaii," Zack said.

"You play the guitar?"

"Bass."

Kayla's eyes lit up. "Bass?! Really? You know what they say about bassists," Kayla said while raising her eyebrows at .me. Zack smiled. No, Kayla. I don't know what they say about bassists.

"So Zack... Do you have a girlfriend?" Kayla asked casually. I stomped on Kayla's foot. I gave her a what-are-you-doing?! look. She stomped on my foot in return.

"Uhm.. No. I recently just came from a breakup," Zack said, completely oblivious to whatever was going on in front of him.

"Oh, I'm sorry," I said, "we didn't MEAN to bring it up." I directed at Kayla. Kayla shrugged her shoulders.

Zack looked at me then at Kayla then back at me again. Then he raised his eyebrow at us. "Anything about you guys?"

"Oh, well Kayla here is dating Mike," I said.

"Yeah how'd you guys meet?" Zack asked. He seemed fascinated to know.

"Well the moment I saw him, I thought he was really cute. Then i got a chance to sit next to him in art class and he was really funny," her eyes lit up as she told her story. Then right on cue, Mike came.

"Hi," he said as he kissed the top of her head.

"Hey wanna join us?" Kayla asked. Mike sat next to Kayla and they talked about... Whatever they were talking about. I sat uncomfortably next to Zack and I know he noticed.

"Let's go," he got up and offered his hand. I took it and we stormed off, leaving Kayla and Mike.

"Wait! How bout your food?" Kayla asked.

"You can have it!" I called.

Zack and I crossed the street across from the deli. "So how come you suddenly dragged me out of there?" I pointed towards the deli.

"Let them have their own time," Zack said casually.

"Oh," I murmured.

He laughed softly. "Besides, I wanna just hang with you."

I smiled. Oh crap, I could feel myself blush.

"Okay.. So, where are you planning to take me? Again.." I asked.

"I know another place," Zack smiled.

Zack drove us to a retro looking restaurant. I remembered this place. My dad used to bring me in here when I was five.

"Wow," I whispered when we walked in. The place barely changed. There were guitars hanging from wall-to-wall. Old and new albums were all over the place. There was a drum set at the back of the room. 'I wanna feel sedated' by the Ramones was playing. A huge framed picture of Elvis hung behind the bar.

"Is that really signed by Elvis?" I asked as we each sat on a bar stool.

"Yup," Zack answered. Wow.

After getting our orders, I scarfed down half my plate in a minute. I almost forgot how great the food taste in here.

"Calm down," Zack chuckled. I stopped to swallow my food.

"I'm sorry, I was really starving," I said, now feeling embarrassed.

Zack grinned. "It's okay. Is it your first time here?"

"Nope," I said as I wiped my mouth. "My dad used to bring me here when I was a kid. I used to love this place, brings back so many memories," I frowned at the thought.

"Something wrong?" he asked.

I shook my head. "No..it's just that, my dad passed away a year ago from cancer." I tried to keep myself from crying.

"Oh, I'm really sorry. You wanna go or..?" Zack looked worried.

I smiled lightly. "No we don't have to. I'm fine. Besides, I'm really, really hungry right now."

Zack laughed half-heartedly. "Yeah, me too."

"Full?" Zack asked after we finished eating.

I nodded. "I could barely get up."

Just then, a man in a low crew neck tank top with extremely high mohawk passed by. It was in rainbow colors too!

Zack started cracking up. "Nice hair!" he called.

The man looked back and we turned the other way around. When he walked away we started laughing.

"Aww.. My stomach hurts now," I playfully punched Zack on the shoulders.

It took us a while to calm down when I checked my phone. It's 1:15! Lunch ended fifteen minutes ago!

"Crap! We gotta get back to school!" I panicked.

"Shit. Let's go," Zack said as we ran out of the restaurant.