Be Your Everything (Chapter 9)

Apparently I was right! It's been three weeks since Zack and Ally started dating. They became more public now and definitely put Ally on the spot. She was the jealousy of most girls on campus. Zack and I cut down on hanging out. Of course he's always on dates with Ally. There would be days when Zack's not in school, and it's getting more frequent. I always thought they just skip school to hang-out or something. I didn't wanna think about it. Zack and I still do hang out, but Ally has to be there most of the time. But I did got even more close to her, which wasn't a bad thing. We got along quick and we found out we got a lot of things in common.

Ally invited me to watch a movie with her and Zack. I refused at first, but she wasn't gonna take no for an answer. "Please Kristine! I promise, we won't do anything around you."

"Mhmm," I mumbled sarcastically. Ally playfully pouted and we both laughed. "Fine! Gosh! I feel like a third wheel!"

"Not tonight. We're just gonna watch a movie, like three friends," she said.

"You sure about that?"

"Yes! Now let's go! Zack's waiting in the car."

Like what Ally said, they didn't do anything. But I could feel it. The awkwardness just being with them. I am a third wheel. I feel like they only invited me just so they could feel better about themselves.

"Bye," Ally said then quickly planted a kiss on Zack's cheek. "Bye Kristine!" she waved. I waved back.

"Why don't you sit in the front?" Zack asked me.

"It's fine."

"Please..." he begged. I rolled my eyes at him and he saw it through the mirror. He grinned and I couldn't help it.

"Happy now?" I asked as I sat on the passenger seat.

Zack started to drive off. "Hey, I'm sorry for forcing you to do this," he said apologetically.

"Really now?" I smiled. He smiled back but didn't say anything anymore until we reached my apartment. "I'll see ya Monday," I said as I stepped out of the car. Zack came out too and walked to the other side. "You know you don't have to drop me."

"I want to!" he smiled boyish-like. I missed that smile.

As we reached the steps Zack grabbed my arm. "Yes?" I asked.

He sighed. "I wanted to tell you this for a really long time." He looked really uncomfortable, worried even.

"Everything okay?" I was getting worried too.

He took a deep breath. "You know those days when I'm not in school?" I nodded. "That's 'cause I'm always at the doctor." He ran his hand through his hair. "And recently, I was diagnosed with brain tumor."

I felt like my heart just dropped. Brain cancer? He must be kidding. But I looked at him in the eye and he looked dead serious.

"Z-Zack, h-" I couldn't speak. He laughed softly.

"It's not funny!" I punched him in the arm. "How long has it been?"

"Not sure..." he thought for awhile.

"But it's not severe right? You can through this, right?" I was starting to panic.

Then his expression darkened. "It's kinda too late for that, Kristine."

"What?" I whispered. I couldn't get my voice to be any louder.

"I have stage four cancer. It kinda spreaded throughout my body. Soon, I wouldn't be able to walk," he said casually.

I was getting frustrated. Why does he act like nothing's wrong?

"Can't you get treatment or something?" I asked.

"I could. But it's a lot of money. And like I said, it's too late for that."

"What do you mean?"

"I have a fifty-fifty chance of living. I might only have less than a year to live," he said sadly.

Tears streamed down my face. Before I knew it, I was crying on his shoulders.

"Hey, don't worry about me. I'll be fine," he whispered as he hugged me tighter.

"No! You're not gonna be fine! Zack!" I was literally yelling.

"Shhh... It's okay."

I was crying violently. "Does Ally know?" I asked, still sobbing.

"No one knows except you. And I'd like to keep it that way," he held my face close to his. I could feel his breath. He was so close. Then he took me by surprise. I felt his lips on mine. They were soft and warm. The kiss lasted for about a minute before he pulled away. He smiled at me then whispered, "Good night!" then left. I was standing by the door when he drove off. What just happened? Did we just kiss? I couldn't even get myself to focus on that after what I just found out. Why Zack? Out of anybody, why him? Half a chance of living? And why does he sound like it doesn't affect him? Then again, it's Zack. He probably accepted that fact. But I didn't. I wanted to cry even more but I didn't want Kayla to ask what's wrong. I quickly wiped my tears and opened the door, hoping Kayla was already asleep.

Instead, I found her in the living room, watching t.v. "Hey!" she smiled.

"Hey, Kayla," I managed to give her a small smile.

"What's wrong?"

"Just tired. I'm gonna go to bed, if you don't mind," I walked past her.

"Umm okay, good night!" she called but I was already upstairs.

I couldn't stop thinking about Zack. Why? I kept asking over and over again. He's gonna survive, I know he will. There's a lot of opportunities ahead of him. It can't just end here. I should get over it. I should be strong for him. No matter what happens.