Gone

The Governor

        I jeered with a growing excitement as I began descending the stairs to the basement. I knew the old man was down there...Hanging on by a thread thanks to Alice’s involvement in saving him. I loved seeing him suffering in his pathetic, useless state. Loved seeing the honest and childlike fear perpetuated on the man’s light blue eyes. I loved when he begged me for mercy, begged me to stop torturing him.

        I had recently instituted my personal favorite of electroshock therapy, the old man beaten, bloody, suffering broken ribs and a broken /femur/. There was no way in Hell he would live, but the game continued. The game always continued for me. I was the hunter. He was the prey, writhing in my grasp as I tried to squeeze any ounce of information out of him as I tortured him slowly, oh so slowly...My favorite way to watch my captives go no matter how tedious and insidious it may be. I opened the door to find his head tilted back, stuck on the gray, cement wall for support, a grin of pleasure playing on my features as I walked over with a chain today, excited to get the night started. Any day now he would be gone, and I must enjoy times like these.

        Gone like my wife. Gone like all of those before me whom I knew. My sister Angie, my Mom, Grace, my father, Stanley...Gone. A distant memory, a lost one with no one to care for it. Dale Horvath would join them.../gone/….

Rick

        I was inside Woodbury now...Stalking per say as I waited for a window to attack the man with the slick-backed rat styled hair. I somehow made it this far unnoticed without having to murder a single person. Thank God….I hated the idea of murdering another living when there were so many dead wandering around. As I sat in the corner crevice of the fence, munching on a sandwich I had stolen from their pantry, I listened, hearing Dale’s cries faintly in the distance.

        I closed my eyes and murmured a silent prayer, interlocking my fingers. “I’m so sorry, Dale… I’m so, sorry...I’m trying….God help him...End his suffering” I shamefully lowered my head, a tiny tear escaping me and falling into my lap as I helplessly looked down, my hands shaking, the faintest of sounds of steps being heard over the fence. I tilted my head, instantly perking up as I stood, fumbling with my Python, waiting for the intruder to make their appearance.

Andrea

        I was right outside of the fence now, the dark, cool night air providing me with a  sense of uneasiness as I scaled the wall, digging my boots into the divots as I climbed, muttering words of encouragement to myself so that I could ignore the blinding pain in my right leg and in my chest. I knew my plan was flawed, but after my lengthy travel, I had to at least try to find them, jumping down from the fence with a soft thud as the butt of a familiar gun met me, the shooter instantly lowering when he saw my face. I saw the face of one of the men I was looking for, my voice trembling. “R-Rick?” I asked meekly as he dropped his weapon and moved to me, wrapping his arms around me and pulling me close, my leg throbbing now thanks to Shane.

        “Oh my God….Andrea.” Rick murmured as he wrapped his arms around me, pulling me in his crushing grip, murmuring my name softly in my hair as I returned the embrace, shaking now because the pressure he was putting on my chest hurt, right where Shane had stabbed me. A small whimper left without my permission and he let go of me, instantly, his eyes alarmed and worried as his blue eyes bounced on mine. “Andrea?”  He searched my face and soon following that, my body, seeing the gash starting at my collarbone, his eyes now looking pained and wounded as if he was the one with a giant stab wound down his chest and a shot wound in his leg.

        “W-what happened to you?” Rick murmured fearfully, his hands going near my chest so that he could examine the wound,the placement of his hands making me freeze. “It’s an….uh long story…” My words came out nervous, and he sensed that, dropping his hands. “Explain it to me when we’re safe...We aren’t safe here...How did you find this weak spot?” Rick spoke quietly as did I, his words erratic and spacy as if he was being watched or something.

        I swallowed and looked down to his boots, nodding towards them. “Grimes, you left a trail...I waited for the guards to switch and I ran over, seeing you did the same, jumping in here….”

        Rick seemed a bit embarrassed that I could follow him so easily, he scratching the back of his head. “I’m glad I could help...but I wish I had more to offer Andrea. We are trapped here. I know where he is keeping Dale, but I can’t get to him. It’s heavily guarded and too dangerous and I think he’s nearly…..”

        Rick trailed off, leaving me to be afraid, terrified now as I reached forward to shake him. “He’s what?!?!” Rick he’s what!?” Rick shook his head, trying to move me away some as he turned away from me, walking to the fence.

        “Andrea, you know how old Dale is...How sick he is….” “No!” I screeched. “You promised me Rick Grimes, You promised me you would bring Dale back to me alive! You promised and you never break your promises! This isn’t starting now.../NO/!”

        “Do you think I want this, Andrea? To fail you? Hell no! It’s the last thing I want, but things aren’t safe here! This man is a psychotic sociopath and we need to go before he finds us! I’m telling you we can’t stay! I’ve been inside three days and I am terrified! Absolutely terrified.” Rick’s eyes widened to show he actually was as I walked to him again, once more wrapping my arms around him for comfort, squeezing him gently as I hid my face in his chest.

        “I know you’re doing the best you can...but now I’m here….And I’m not giving up. Please….don’t give up on Dale...Don’t give up on me...on us...on our promise to never fail or lie to each other….please? I need that. I need you. I need stability.”

        I spoke softly into Rick as he held me, nodding in agreement with my words surprisingly, giving me a gentle reassuring squeeze as he spoke softly into my hair, his chin resting on the top of my head.

        “Don’t worry Andrea...We don’t die...We will make it out of here together. We /will/ try to save Dale, if it’s the last thing we do together. Have faith in me...have faith in us.”