Crimson

The Governor

        Have you ever taken a moment to inhale the smell of blood? I know the scent very well. I know that coppery, metal smell when it is fresh. That /sweet/ smell it has when it is dry...Yes….The smell of blood was delightful to my senses, and also to my touch. As I kneeled down in the pool of red, I ran my hands through it, rubbing my hands on the cold stone until my hands were dark with the fresh blood. I then waited until it was dried before lifting my hands and sniffing them, my eyes rolling back in pleasure. The scent was sultry...irresistible,especially because I was the cause of this blood….

        I was the one who caused the flood...I made it happen….Me…… Once more, just the thought gave me a chill. I wanted more blood...More blood on my floor...Maybe I could fill my aquarium heads with blood. It would probably dry out...Requiring me to get more blood, the idea instantly arousing me as I raised a bloody finger to my lips curiously, licking the blood.

        The taste was metallic almost, not nearly as rewarding as the smell….I could bathe in blood. I would die to feel it seep into my skin and bones, giving me more power. More blood equaled more power….More power……

Andrea

        As soon as I had passed the cell that now had Lori and Shane’s bloody remains together, my head began spinning, everything catching up to me as I limped down the hall, not even sure where I was. I tried to walk further, but I knew I was getting a bit off track...I could see the parts that we had blocked off and I had to frequently return, looking for another way. By the time I had finally set off in the right direction, I couldn’t breathe anymore. I couldn’t walk. I whimpered as I slid down on the cold stone wall, practically falling down it as I protectively cradled baby Judith, my body shaking from dehydration and pain.

        “G-Glenn! T-Tyreese! Carl! Hershel! Billy! Somebody!” I whimpered as my head clunked against the wall, the baby reaching up her chubby little hands to try to comfort me. I shook a bit as I repeated the names, practically begging for someone to come...But I had nothing left, and soon I was returning to the darkness again, albeit my wishes.

        I was in the darkness, but this time I was more lucid, even having dreams. They weren’t necessarily good dreams, but instead, nightmares. These were nightmares that would keep any sane person awake, but for me, I had no escape. I wasn’t trying to be in the darkness, but it consumed me...The snarling beasts thrashing at my neck in my dream, one ripping out Carl’s throat before my very eyes, followed by my sons, and then Sophia.

        That startling sequence woke me up and I was panting, sweat pouring down me as Judith cried in my arms, panicking. The sounds didn’t stop….They weren’t stopping....The sounds of /them/.  I looked up and saw the monsters coming for us again, and once again I could stand, stumbling blindly in the opposite direction, my pulse pounding as I ran. I had no weapon! I had left the axe in Shane, and now I had a child to worry about. Fortunately, I was still faster than the walkers in my state, my feet pounding on the cement quickly until my breath rattled in my chest. I began wheezing, weakly calling for the members of my group.

        I felt death in the air, my legs slowing as the walkers grew closer, nearly grabbing me now. I knew I wasn’t going to make it, and neither was this baby. I actually began to cry as I internally begged for mercy, seeing no rest in sight as I stumbled, now tripping over a walker corpse and falling down, choking and gasping for air. “P-please! Help! P-please!” I screamed at the top of my lungs, my words falling on deaf ears as I tried to regain my breath. I was panicking, something I rarely did, literally crawling backwards as the walked came closer and reached for the baby, a loud cry escaping my lips.

        I closed my eyes after looking to the child and saying, “I’m sorry….” I had no strength, no energy left. I was hungry and thirsty, no fuel to get me going. As I closed my eyes, my hands trembling, I heard a loud grunt, belonging to Tyreese as he bashed his hammer into the walker’s skull. He had literally cleared a path to me and now he was picking up me and Judith, easily lifting us as he ran off, my tears freezing on my cheeks. “T-thank you…” I murmured sadly as I rocked Judith some to calm her down. Tyreese simply nodded as I closed my eyes, not opening them until I was back by my family, in the cafeteria.

        Explaining what happened to them wasn’t easy, but once they knew, everyone thanked me and began hugging me, entitling me as the savior, the group’s leader, but I wasn’t happy with that. Lori was dead….Rick was gone. Things were not good, and  I was in no way, shape, or form a leader, because I was selfish. I couldn’t believe someone could even think that way, but yet they all seemed to agree.

        As I drifted off, Carl came over and hugged me, softly crying into me as Ben and Billy went off to bed. There was absolutely nothing I could do besides pass Judith to Maggie as I swooped Carl into my arms despite the pain it caused as he was sitting on my leg wound. I even rocked the poor boy, singing softly just for him as I held him and stroked back his hair. “It’s okay Carl….I love you….I won’t let you down. “ Carl choked out a sob, looking up to me with his big, vulnerable eyes. “How ca-can you p-promise me?” He was wise beyond his ears, the thought making my stomach clench as I hugged him again tightly. “Because I can...Don’t question it. I just need you to do me a favor and watch Ben and Billy for me while I go get your dad.” Carl tried protesting, but I instantly raised a finger to his lips, silencing him. “Ah, ah, ah. Let me take care of it...Okay? Glenn and Maggie will watch you guys while I’m gone, but I’m leaving you in charge, okay? I know it’s a big responsibility, but I have faith in you.” Carl nodded, a determined look in his eyes as he hugged me. “And Judith...Protect Judith with all your heart. I love you…” Carl’s crying ceased for a moment as he softly spoke. “I love you too, Andrea.”

        It wasn’t easy disengaging myself from Carl, but I finally was able to do so as he fell asleep, quietly laying him on a cot with Sophia so that he wasn’t afraid when he woke up. I didn’t know how much longer we would allow them to sleep together, but as far as I was concerned it didn’t matter. They were just /kids/, and Carl needed her comfort now more than ever while I was gone, and I wasn’t going to break that.

        After I set Carl to bed, I began packing a travel pack after I changed into new clothes. The stab wound looked fresh and my bullet wound was pussing and leaking. At least I hadn’t missed too much time….No more than a day or two from when I was originally planning to leave, I could see how fresh my wounds were. I brushed my teeth and stuffed myself with food and water until I felt content before packing a quick survival pack with food, water, ammo, and warm clothes. I then moved to get my jacket, feeling much stronger since I had now eaten. I had absolutely no idea what time it was, but I didn’t care, Rick needed me now, but Dale needed me even more. It was most likely around twelve midnight, but now was my  time to move. After taking a pain pill, I barely noticed the pain, focused on sneaking out to go save my boys. I didn’t even tell anyone except for Carl, stealthily sneaking out into the night after leaving a brief note, telling them not to follow because it was too dangerous, and the group couldn’t afford to lose anyone else.

        I trecked softly through the night, taking the stealth approach with my hand on the hilt of my knife. The cold winter air nipped at my cheeks, my Floridian blood not used to such a chill as I traveled,but still I would not stop. I was not letting anything stop me. I had found Rick Grimes’ tracks. I knew his boots like I knew him, almost as well as myself. He had given me the breadcrumbs, now all I had to do was follow it.