Barlog of Moria

Rhiannon's POV

We've been walking through Moria for three days and it's now the fourth day. I'm feeling weaker then ever. We climb another flight of stairs to a crossroads in the mine: three doorways loom before us. Gandalf glances from one to the other and back. "I have no memory of this place" he states. I sit down leaning against the wall.

"You look pale" Legolas says crouching down in front of me.

"I'm always pale" I tell him.

"I know, but you seem to have lost your glow" he states.

"It's my magic, I need to be out of here soon" I state.

"Don't worry, Gandalf will figure away out soon" he assures me. "Can you feel natural light?" he asks me. I close my eyes and focus on natural light.

"It's that way" I state pointing to the right hand door way.

"You sure dear?" Gandalf asks me.

"Yes, I feel day light" I tell him.

"Then lets go" he says. We go down the tunnel and come into an open space. Broken columns lie tumbled across the floor and Gandalf lifts his staff.

"Let me risk a little more light" Gandalf says. His staff illuminates a giant stone hall with tall pillars and arched ceilings. "Behold: the great realm and Dwarf city of Dwarrowdelf" he tells us.

"Now there's an eye opener and no mistake" Sam says. We walk forward through the hall, peering around a column. Gimli sees a ray of sunlight shining through a chamber. I follow and turn my back to the rays of the sun. My wings absorbing the light.

Bodies and weapons scattered about it. Gimli stops and kneels by a crypt in the center of the room. A shaft of light illuminates it. Gandalf walks forward and peers at the tomb's surface. Boromir places a hand on Gimli's shoulder.

"'Here lies Balin, son of Fundin, Lord of Moria.' He is dead then. It's as I feared" Gandalf states. Gimli cries in sorrow. Gandalf gives his staff and hat to Pippin, bends down. He takes a large and battered book from a corpse's hands. He opens it and clears the dirt from its pages.

"We must move on, we cannot linger" Legolas states.

"I think we can spare a few moments" I tell him as I feel my magic slowly return.

"'They have taken the bridge... and the second hall'" Gandalf reads from the book. "We have barred the gates... but cannot hold them for long. The ground shakes. Drums... drums... in the deep" he continues to read. He looks up slowly, and turns the smudged, bloodstained page. "We cannot get out. A shadow moves in the dark. We cannot get out, they are coming" he finishes.

The silence is broken by something heavy falling. We all look at Pippin. As the corpse slips into the well, dragging with it a chain and bucket. Noise echoes from hall to hall far below. Gandalf slams the book shut. "Fool of a Took! Throw yourself in next time and rid us of your stupidity" he states.

He pulls his hat and staff from the Pippin's hands. Gandalf turns away as Pippin looks down guiltily. Drums are heard booming. Gandalf slowly turns back, and Pippin turns as well, staring down into the well. "Frodo!" Sam yells and Frodo draws his sword, that is glowing blue.

"Orcs!" Legolas shouts and I draw my sword. Boromir rushes to the doors to have a look. Arrows hiss into the door near his face. Aragorn drops his torch and runs to help Boromir.

"Get back! You stay close to Gandalf!" Aragorn orders the hobbits.

Boromir slams the doors shut. "They have a cave troll with them" Boromir says with sarcastic relief. Legolas tosses weapons to Boromir and Aragorn to blockade the door. The  others draw out their weapons. Gandalf throws away his hat and pulls out his sword.