Entering the Mines

Rhiannon's POV

We retraced our steps and then followed Gandalf to a cliff. Where there is a lake. Something felt wrong about it, so I avoid it. I go bath in the moonlight. It's the first source of natural light I've had since we started to climb the mountain. But it won't be enough to recharge my magic, only the sun can fully recharge me.

Gimli knocks his axe against a rock. "Dwarf doors are invisible when closed" he states.

"Yes, Gimli, their own masters cannot find them, if their secrets are forgotten" Gandalf states.

"Why doesn't that surprise me?" Legolas says to me. A foot splashes into shallow water. Frodo gasps, pulling his leg back. A great pool sits beside the rock face.

Gandalf approaches the rock between two trees, and runs his hand over the cliff face. "Now... let's see. Ithildin" he states. Beneath his hand run spidery silver lines, faint beneath the dirt.

"It mirrors only starlight... and moonlight" I state. As he looks up at the black night sky, the moon appears. The silver lines grow bright, outlining a door formed of two columns beneath an arch, with a star in the center. As I continue to recharge.

"It reads 'The Doors of Durin — Lord of Moria. Speak, friend, and enter'" Gandalf tells us.

"What do you suppose that means?" merry asks.

"Oh, it's quite simple. If you are a friend, you speak the password, and the doors will open" Gandalf states. I'd tell him he is wrong, but if we go in the mines now I'll die before we reach the other end. I need to recharge as much as possible before then. "Annon Edhellen, edro hi ammen" he says. (Translation: Gate of the Elves, open now for me).

The Doors remain closed. "Fennas Nogothrim, lasto beth lammen" he says. (Translation: Doorway of the Dwarf-folk, listen to the word of my tongue).

"Nothing's happening" Pippin says. Gandalf glances at him at him, looking slightly annoyed. He begins to push on the doors, but they remain fast.

"I once knew every spell in all the tongues of Elves... Men... and Orcs" Gandalf says with a sigh.

"What are you going to do, then?" Pippin asks him.

"Knock your head against these doors, Peregrin Took! And if that does not shatter them, and I am allowed a little peace from foolish questions, I will try to find the opening words" Gandalf states. I go on a high ledge to be closer to the moon to recharge quicker.

"Rhiannon, are you ok?" Legolas asks me.

"My magic is running low, I am attempting to recharge with the moons light. But it's not working as well as the sun will" I tell him.

"Are you gonna be ok in the mines?" he asks me.

"As long as I use my magic sparingly" I state. Aragorn and Sam set Bill the pony free. Frodo stands up and looks at the writing on the gateway.

"It's a riddle" Frodo states. "Speak 'friend' and enter. What's the Elvish word for friend?" he asks.

"Mellon" Gandalf answers. The stone doors slowly swing open, rumbling deeply. I take a deep breath and follow the others into the mine slowly. I stop beside Frodo in the entrance way, where my wings can still absorb the moonlight. Gandalf brings his hand around his staff, blowing upon the crystal. To make it glow.

"Soon, Master Elf, you will enjoy the fabled hospitality of the Dwarves! Roaring fires, malt beer, ripe meat off the bone. This, my friend, is the home of my cousin, Balin. And they call it a mine. A mine!" Gimli announces.

"This is no mine, it's a tomb" Boromir states. The light of Gandalf's staff reveals rotted, broken and battered forms strewn about, casting long shadows across the room. Legolas pulls out an arrow from the body of a fallen Dwarf, examines it and casts it away in disgust.

"Goblins" he tells us. Aragorn and Boromir draw out their swords. Legolas fits an arrow to his bow as I draw my sword.

"We make for the Gap of Rohan. We should never have come here" Boromir states. The four Hobbits are backing toward the door. "Now get out of here, get out!" he shouts.

"Frodo!" Merry, Pippin and Sam shout. I turn to see Frodo being held by a tentacle as the other hobbits try to cut him free. "Get off him! Strider!" Sam shouts.

"Aragorn!" I shout as I join the hobbits. The Hobbits clutch at Frodo, attempting to keep him away from the water as more tentacles wrap around him. As I cut at them with my sword. The watching creature at the gate releases Frodo. "Get behind me" I tell the hobbits.

Suddenly, many tentacles come out of the water. Slapping me and the other Hobbits aside. It grabs Frodo around the leg and he is pulled out over into the air. "Frodo!" Merry shouts. Legolas runs out onto the shore and shoots. His arrow pierces a tentacle wrapping itself over Frodo's face.

"Strider!" Frodo shouts. Boromir and Aragorn rush to the water and attack the beast. It flings Frodo wildly in the air. Despite our efforts, the Hobbit is lowered towards a gaping maw in the water, ringed by fangs, set in a gilled face.

Aragorn slices through the tentacle holding Frodo, who falls into Boromir's arms. "Into the mines!" Gandalf shouts. Boromir runs for the gates with Frodo as a huge tentacle uncoils a hand-like appendage, snaking after them. Legolas shoots it. His arrow hits the beast's right eye, and it recoils with a roar.

We dive into mines. The sea creature reaches out and tears the gates shut. Slabs of rocks drop and the roof of the passageway caves in. We stare back as the last rays of moonlight disappear.

A/N

Picture above of the wall of Moria.