Chapter 2

Chapter 2

------------------

2 days later ....

"Houghton, pack it up and let's go." C.O Lawson said opening the door to the cell.

            Nyema was excited to leave but overall was nervous of how she would function outside of the place she's called home for the past five years. Making sure she had everything she needed, all the stuff she's accumulated over the years and her going home gifts from some of the girls, had her walking out with two plastic bags.

"I better not see you in here anymore Pretty," Angela said pulling her into a hug.

"I promise you I'll try my best not to, and you make sure you keep your head up also. I'll be keeping in contact with you."

"Now you know I got this shit." Angela said laughing.

                Separating away from each other Nyema and Angela said goodbye one last time before Nyema was escorted out of the cell. Walking along side C.O Lawson as they headed to the main lobby of the institute where she would then be processed to finally leave. She waved bye to all the girls she had become close friends with. As they got closer to the lobby, the same lobby she hasn't seen since she was ushered in here five years ago, a wave of nervousness filled her body.

"Remove all of your clothing and belongings and put them into this tray." A correctional officer demanded, sliding the pale yellow tray her way. Nervously picking away at her clothes Nyema let tears fall. She had just left her sentencing where the judge sentenced her to five years for credit card fraud. She knew she would get time but not five years. Her court appointed lawyer assured her she would do two years tops or since this was her first charge, probation, but neither was given.

Putting on the paper thin jumpsuit and a pair of croc like sandals Nyema smoothed back her ponytail before knocking on the door to get the guards attention. The guard walked into the room and picked up the tray of belongings and handed it off to another guard.

"Hold your hands out in front of you," the guard said as the handcuffs were slipped around her wrists, followed by a thin matt and some sheets that were thrown on top. "Let's go and try not to drop anything on the way there, and please keep up with me."

Following behind the guard they walked through different halls and down a few stairs to get to where the holding cells were. Nyema looked around taking in her surroundings, the vision of how the inside of a jail would look was totally different then how she pictured it. There weren't regular prison like cells instead there was big metal doors that housed a bunkbed with a toilet and a sink.

"Here's your home for the next couple of years," the guard announced unlocking the door and pushing it open. "You don't have a cell mate right now so you can pick which bed to sleep on. Dinner will be delivered in the cafeteria in a hour, doors will open up then. In the meantime get as comfortable as you can. Putting her things down on the bottom bunk Nyema then turned around to have her cuffs removed.

Rubbing her hands along the imprints the cuffs left on both wrists, she looked around the cell and sighed loudly. "Day 1 of 1825."

"Hey princess, wake up over there!" Another CO called out from just down the hall. "You wanna leave or not?" He questioned.

                Nyema didn't realize she had fell into a daze so quickly thinking back to that first day getting processed in. The daze had caught her so bad that she had stopped walking completely. It was like a huge wave of anxiety crossed her body, and then disappeared through her toes, and into the bottom of the rock hard concrete floor. She had remembered what Angela had talked about in their cell just a couple days ago; Nyema was blessed, leaving here was a blessing and Nyema shouldn't be worried about what anyone had to say to her. She shouldn't be worried about anything that had to do with Louisiana Correctional Institute, and Angela was completely right. Nyema came to the realization, and found control over her body again to move forward to the doors that would offer her, her freedom again. Once she reached them, the CO at the door stood behind a table offering up a plastic bag of the small items Nyema was allowed to still have once she came in. Due to the nature of her crime all of her clothes had to be taken for investigation purposes, leaving her with a Gold Rolex, and a pair of gold hooped earrings. She didn't mind even the least bit because she couldn't imagine having to put on the clothes from the night and walking back into the world with the same harsh memories from then.