Chapter 4

Woah, woah woah! Before we start... I GOT FANART?!?!?!?!?!?! 

Thank you so much to the lovely _Zigzy_ for this amazing piece of heaven! ^^^^

Cole's P.O.V.

The five of us had been training all morning. I decided that it was the perfect time for everyone to do so, and luckily, they agreed.

Kai and Lloyd each took up two of our large punching bags, talking what I assumed to be an anime Kai had gotten the young blond to watch. I saw Jay practicing with his nunchucks against one of our moving dummies. Zane was currently balancing on the large dragon shaped head of the bounty. His eyes closed and relaxed. At first, this training technique bugged me. I was always paranoid that Zane would fall if distracted. After a while though, I realized I had nothing to worry about. 

I'd done about 100 push-ups, and I decided to mess with the Ice Ninja a bit. 

"Don't fall, Jack!" I called out, referencing the obvious Titanic parallel. 

This prompted Zane to slowly turn his head, "What? I do not unders-" He paused, and then smiled. 

I began to laugh at his realization. "Are you the king of the world, Zane?"

The tall boy was fully facing me now, standing still on the red dragon's head. "Aren't you clever?" he replied.

"It's just apart of my charm, Frosty!" I said back, grinning.

"OH GET A ROOM!" I heard from a certain Blue Ninja across the deck. I blushed at his loud comment, and turned to him. I noticed the others laughing too. Ugh... I thought.

Zane on the other hand, looked a bit confused. I didn't blame the nindroid, seeing as we kind of always acted like this around each other. Of course he didn't think it was weird. He knew I didn't boldly flirt with him with any serious intent, right?

Did I have serious intent?

No, obviously not! This was Zane I was talking about; the one person who seemed to know me the best out of everyone in the world. A trusted friend who never judged me. Why would I want to constantly flirt with him?

Ignore Jay, I decided. H-He doesn't know what he's talking about.

After some more talking and training, Sensei Wu had come onto the deck to observe us. It wasn't long before he finally spoke.

"May I have your attention for a moment?" He asked in his normal calm manner. 

We all stopped what we were doing, and faced our mentor, curious on what he had to say. 

"I have received an invitation from the mayor a few days ago. It is tonight, and because it is an election year, I said yes." He announced.

Kai groaned. "What? Why didn't you tell us sooner?"

"So you wouldn't have a chance to find an excuse not to go." Sensei replied quickly, trying his best to hide a smirk. 

Zane spoke next, "So from what I can infer, we can assume that this is a formal event?"

Sensei nodded, "Yes Zane, thank you. You all should dress and act accordingly."

"Yes Sensei." We all said, bowing to our master.

With that, the old man left the deck, leaving us to continue with what we were doing. I decided to stop training, leaning against the railing. "Well, this ought to be good."

Kai scoffed. "Tell me about it. The last thing I wanted to do tonight was go to some fancy freaky party for all the rich politicians of Ninjago."

I noticed Jay's eyes roll dramatically. "Come on Kai, it'll be fine! It's only for one night, and at least they'll give us free food."

"Yes!" I whispered excitedly. 

Zane let out a soft chuckle as he walked over and leaned next to me. "Taking advantage of their money, eh?" 

"You know it, Snowball." I replied as I side-eyed him. 

~*~*~*~ LE TIME SKIP ~*~*~*~

After washing up, I decided to get ready. We only had two hours to get ready, each of us going separate ways, doing whatever. I stood in front of my closet in my sweatpants and muscle tee.

What to wear? I thought to myself.

The thing is, I probably had the most clothing out of anyone on the bounty (apart from Nya). Being the son of an entertainer will do that to your wardrobe. I looked at my options, hearing the door to the room open from behind me. I quickly glanced at them only to find the tall blonde. I smiled.

"Hey Zane, navy, grey, or black?" I asked, turning back to my closet, leaning on one foot in thought.

"Hm?" He responded.

"What color suit should I wear? I've got so many so I'm not sure." I repeated, hopefully giving him the info he needed.

Zane wandered over, nodding. "Oh, I see. Well what suits are deemed your favorite?" 

I scratched my chin, thinking. "Hm, I don't know. I don't really have a preference." I reached into the closet and pulled out a plain black suit and a dark grey one as well. "These two always seem to work... What one?"

Zane smiled, and leaned down, gently taking the grey one from my hand. He quickly looked between the two, and returned the grey outfit to the closet. "Black."

That smile!

It was so soft and warm. I felt like I could bask in it forever. I watched as Zane turned to get ready himself. It was then that I noticed the dark blush creeping up my neck and onto my face. 

"T-Thanks buddy. Real predictable." I joked.

Zane laughed at that, focusing on his own belongings.

That laugh!

I turned around and saw that he was standing next to his bed, organizing his formal wear. I saw a plain white suit jacket and pants with a black vest, and a light, icy blue tie.

"I suppose mine is predictable as well." Zane responded, following my gaze to his own clothes.

I nodded, grabbing my own clothes, and set them down. "Yep..."

I think I'm falling...

Falling for him.