Chapter Eighteen

Quinn Greene pulled her blonde hair back into a ponytail, pulling on a pair of track pants before padding softly down to the small kitchen.

Sam Wilson sat on one of the kitchen stools, sipping periodically from his coffee mug while staring at the wall opposite him.

A lot had changed over the last two years but thankfully the majority of it was for the better.

The small house that they were currently staying in mostly keep five people under the roof relatively comfortable even if that meant they were often a little too close together for comfort the majority of the time.

But considering that the five of them were constantly moving while on the run the smaller conditions were much more manageable.

"What are you doing up so early?" Quinn asked, heading towards the coffee pot herself.

"I could ask you the same thing you know."

"I know but I asked first after all."

Everyone within the group had changed a lot. Natasha had cut her hair off, dying it blonde while Aquila had also cut her hair shorter. Steve now had a beard in place of his usual clean-shaven appearance, something that Quinn was still quite undecided whether she preferred it or not. But arguably the person who had transformed the most was Quinn herself.

Going on the run with the others meant that Quinn needed to be able to defend herself with more than just a flashlight or a baseball bat. And after months of Natasha, Aquila and Steve also swapping turns to try and teach her everything they knew, Quinn could easily hold her own in a fight. Not that meant she would be taking Steve down in a spar anytime soon, but even Natasha struggled against the super-soldier.

"Well I'm surprised to see Steve isn't down here with you." Sam said with a playful smile. "He never seems to leave her side these days."

"Well he looked like he needed the sleep, so I let him."

"Well have fun with that. I'm not saving you when he comes down here demanding why you let him sleep in."

"Of course you wouldn't. Sam Wilson doesn't risk his arse for anyone else other than himself." Quinn teased.

"I just don't want to get in the way of an angry super soldier."

"He won't be angry, probably thankful." Quinn began but soon stopped when almost as if on cue Steve's voice reverberated off the walls reaching the kitchen.

"Quinn!"

Quinn shot a warning glance Sam's way before diving into one of the empty kitchen cupboards, her small frame easily fitting inside before shutting the door behind her just as Steve entered the kitchen.

"Sam, have you seen Quinn?" Steve asked as Quinn held her breath trying not to breathe in the thousands of dust particles in the air when her hand suddenly brushed against something squishy.

"Yeah, she just came through here." Sam covered for Quinn before a muffled scream came from the kitchen cupboard that Quinn had just dived into.

"Oh my god, there's a dead rat in here!" Quinn screamed before crawling rapidly back out of the kitchen cupboard shooting an innocent look Steve's way.

"Oh, man. I was trying to cover your arse here."

"There was a dead rat," Quinn replied matter of factly before turning to Steve. "Hey, when did you get up?"

"Just before, only to discover that someone was gone."

"I wonder who that was. Oh yes I know she just went that way." Quinn replied with a smile pointing back down the corridor.