Chapter Eight

Quinn Greene tugged on her blonde ponytail, her thumb stuck between her two front teeth as she stared at the wall nervously in front of her. 

After nearly a year the Captain America exhibit had finally shut down within the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum, moving onto another country with other tour guides to lend their own expertise. 

The only cause for her current nervous stature was the meeting happening behind the closed doors, next to her. 

After her position within the Captain America exhibit had gardened plenty of positive feedback regarding her, it had resulted in her promotion. The Tour Guide wasn't just a history nerd but was now in charge of all the temporary exhibits within the Smithsonian, which also included the proposal of future ideas. 

The meeting was currently debated on which of Quinn's proposals would work the best and she was waiting nervously to hear the results. 

The shrill tone of her phone suddenly rang through the air, the corners of Quinn's mouth rising slightly when she looked down at the caller I.D. 

Of course, it was Steve Rogers who always seemed to know exactly when Quinn needed to talk to someone. 

With a brief glance towards the closed doors, Quinn swiped across her phone screen before lifting it towards her ear. 

"Hey," Quinn said, her tone slightly strained. 

"Hi, what's wrong?" Steve's voice rang through the phone, immediately picking up on one of his closest friends' mood.

"It's nothing."

"It's clearly something, Quinnie." 

"You know that huge project I've been working on; the proposal for the temporary exhibitions?"

"Yeah."

"I'm just currently sitting outside the room where they are debating my proposals."

"Oh, I'm so sorry for interrupting, Quinn. I can go if you want." Steve rushed to apologize, annoyed with himself that he had forgotten such an important event in Quinn's month. 

"No, it's fine. You're actually helping with my nerves a bit. What did you mean to call about?

"Do I need a reason to talk to one of my best friends?"

"No, not at all. I just assumed that considering you are calling me in the middle of the day, it would be about something particular."

"Well, Tony's holding a party here at Stark Tower on Saturday night." Steve eventually gave in and revealed his true purpose for calling. "Can you escape from the museum for the weekend? I haven't seen you in weeks, plus there are plenty of people who want to see you again."

Quinn let out a small laugh, shaking her head slightly. She would have never guessed that she would ever have Captain America complaining that he hadn't seen her in so long.

"But that's because you are in New York and I'm still here in Washington D.C."

"Come on Quinnie, please. You can catch the train and I'll pick you up."

Quinn grinned slightly at the use of the nickname that only the people who knew her well could use. 

"Alright, fine. I'll come." Quinn caved. "But you owe one to Spencer, we were supposed to have a movie marathon this weekend, and you also better pick me up, I'm not navigating the New York subway by myself."

"You know for someone who has lived in New York for the majority of her life, you really seem to be reluctant to come back to it."

"Well, that's because I've escaped once it's going to take a lot more to try and get me to come back." Quinn chuckled before she suddenly heard footsteps heading towards the door behind her. "Listen I better go, but I'll see you on Saturday."

"I'll see you then," Steve replied. "And, Quinn?"

"Yeah?" Quinn replied, standing up and brushing imaginary dust off her skirt. 

"I can't wait to see you again."

Quinn Greene stuck close to Steve Rogers' side as he led her through the throng of party-goers. She had already been introduced to the rest of the Avengers she hadn't met yet, who had only exchanged knowing smirks. 

Half of her knew that if Steve hadn't been so desperate in his attempts to bring her up to New York for the weekend, Quinn would have preferred to be back at home watching a plethora of movies with Spencer and popcorn by her side. 

She was feeling immensely out of place at one of Tony Stark's legendary parties. 

Quinn eventually settled for leaning slightly against the pool table with Sam Wilson by her side, Steve had disappeared in the crowd on the lookout for one Aquila Cadman who was the only Avenger still missing from the party. 

"How have you been Quinn?" Sam asked looking towards the small blonde. 

"I've been alright. Things have been pretty normal in D.C since you guys came in and stuffed everything up. What about you?"

"Yeah, alright. Just chasing a certain missing person case."

"Ah, of course." Quinn smiled before she remembered something. "Remind me later on, I've got something to add to that missing person case."

After seeing Bucky Barnes at the Smithsonian exhibit Quinn had chosen to keep it to herself, she didn't want to reveal that certain pieces of information until Steve and Sam's leads were nearly dry. 

"Really?"

"Yeah," Quinn replied her smile widening once she saw Aquila heading towards them, Steve trailing behind her. 

"Sam! Quinn!" Aquila Cadman shouted. 

Once immediate greetings were made, Sam nodded towards the intricate tattoo that painted Aquila's shoulder. 

"Nice tattoo." Sam complimented before turning to the two ladies in front of him, gesturing towards the pool table. "You guys wanna play?"

Steve Rogers and Sam Wilson walked up a small flight of stairs leading to the small observation deck above the party, providing the perfect place for them to talk. 

"Sounds like a hell of a fight, sorry I missed it," Sam said. 

"If I had known it was going to be a firefight I absolutely would have called you," Steve replied, his eyes scanning over the party-goers below in the search for a particular blonde. 

"No, I'm not actually sorry. I'm just trying to sound tough. I'm very happy chasing cold leads on our missing person case. Avenging is your world. Your world is crazy." Sam replied only to immediately notice that the super-soldier beside him wasn't exactly listening. "When are you going to tell her?"

"Tell her what?" Steve asked, looking down at Quinn who had soon settled talking more than likely about some historic topic with the rest of the guests. 

"I think you very well know what," Sam said, before heading back down to the party.

Quinn sensed someone looking at her and instinctively looked up towards the glass observation deck where Steve Rogers stood staring at her. She quickly smiled at him, bringing her hand up in a wave before turning back to the party-goers who were engaging her in conversation.