Chapter 5: Early Morning Run-ins & The Devil's Little Helper

Esme’s POV

This was the first time in my life that I was not looking forward to a Friday night. My alarm woke me up at 5:30 AM and I had to drag myself out of bed. I slipped into my favorite pair of dark-washed skinnies and a Glamour Kills sweatshirt. I curled my hair into loose waves adding a waterfall braid that wrapped around my head. I did my usually smoky eye and dark eye liner with bright red lips. By the time I was satisfied with my appearance it was already 7. I grabbed my bag and rushed downstairs where, for once, I saw my mother cooking breakfast. Holly was sat at the table, eating her pancakes and looking over her spelling words. I set my bag on the table and gave Holly a kiss on the cheek.

“Morning Holls.” I greeted her with a smile. She smiled back and gave me a little side hug.

“Morning Essy!” she squealed, shoving the last of her breakfast into her mouth. I giggled at her sloppiness and walked to the fridge. My mother noticed that I came downstairs and for once she was in a good mood.

“Morning darling.” she said with a genuine smile. I gave her a half smile and continued pouring my glass of orange juice. She handed me a plate of pancakes and I took a seat at the table. I took my time eating, not really caring if I was late to school or not. I wanted this day to go as slow as it possibly could, because I knew that tonight would come faster than I wanted it to. After I swallowed the last bite of my breakfast, I put my dishes in the sink and was out the door. I got in my car and blasted some Taylor Swift. I know, a girl like me listens to Taylor Swift? Yes, yes I do.

I got to school late, just as I expected. I walked the empty halls until I reached my locker. I took out everything I needed for the next three classes and slammed it shut, not caring how loud it was. I was slowly making my way down the halls to where my first class was, just trying to kill time. When all of a sudden BOOM. I was lying on the ground, with my books and a bunch of papers spread out around me.

“Ouch…I wasn’t paying attention, I’m sor-” I stopped mid-sentence when I realized who I had actually collided with. Liam Payne. And wanna know the strangest thing about it? I wasn’t even mad about it…I just felt extremely, I don’t know, awkward? His expression mirrored my own and I realized we both knew what tonight was going to bring.

“It’s um…its fine. Sorry…” he said awkwardly grabbing his things, and handing me a few of my books. I took them without a word and stood up. I quickly walked away trying to avoid anymore awkward tenseness.

Liam’s POV

I watched her walk away out of the corner of my eye, wondering why she hadn’t said any snide remarks before she left. I rubbed the area of my head that collided with her own. No doubt that was going to be a nice big bump in the morning. It was already second period and I wanted the time to stop moving so fast. The faster the day went, means the faster tonight will come, and let’s just say I am absolutely dreading tonight. And the worst part about this whole dinner nonsense, is the fact that I’m expected to be nice to that little bitch. My mother thinks she’s some little innocent and wants me to become friends with her. I’m not sure that I can even fake being nice to her.

I continued on down the hallway until I reached room 247; History class with Mr. Perrie. This is probably my least favorite class ever. I don’t have any real friends in here, and not for nothing…but the teacher is a dick. I opened the door gently hoping not to disturb the lesson he already started, and I slowly inched my way into the room.

“Ah Mr. Payne, nice of you to finally join us. Do you have a late slip?” Mr. Perrie asked in a not-at-all amused tone. Yes, I’m late to class. Even nice guy, goody-two shoes can be late sometimes.

“No…I didn’t have enough time to get one. I just came from P.E. and I had to run an extra 2 miles for track practice.” I informed him, hoping he’d just let me take a seat, rather than interrogate me in front of the whole class. I saw him raise his eye brows in a disapproving manner.

“Well then, I suppose if you can do that for gym class, you can stay an extra hour today after school to makeup what you have missed.” He stated smugly. I wanted so badly to make a snappy comeback but I decided I was in enough trouble already. I nodded my head to inform him I understood my punishment.

“Now you can go take a seat back there next to Ms. Baker.” he said as he pointed to a desk in the very back row, next to this girl called Anna. Also known as; Esme McAdams best-friend. Oh joy, could this day get any worse?

I made my way to the back of the classroom and took a seat next to the devil’s little helper. She gave me a quick death glare before she turned her attention back to her cell phone. It’s a rule that we aren’t suppose to have our phones out during class, but Mr. Perrie had gotten tired of telling her to put it away so he doesn’t even bother anymore. I nonchalantly eyed her; looking at how she was dressed. She had on some ripped skinnies, and a black sweatshirt that had “& In that moment, we were infinite.” written on it. Her bleach blonde hair was bulled into a side braid with a gray knit beanie. As much as I hate her and Esme, they somehow still manage to get me thinking they’re hot.

“What the fuck are you staring at?” she snapped loud enough for the next two rows of people to hear, but luckily not loud enough for the teacher to hear.

“Nothing.” I replied simply. I couldn’t think of an excuse and I sure as hell wasn’t going to tell her that I was checking her out.

“Weirdo. What’s your deal anyways?” she asked in a serious tone. Or at least as serious as she was going to get. I was a little confused by what she was asking.

“What do you mean?” I asked in confusion.

I mean, what’s your deal? You come late to this class all the time, and you’re clearly not a grade A student like your reputation proceeds you to be.” she stated, causing me to become slightly annoyed.

“And your point is?” I asked in a snappy tone.

“Well, are you goody two shoes or are you an actual human being?” she asked sarcastically.

“I’m not perfect if that’s what you’re getting at.” I informed her, sort of wishing she never said a word to me.

“Then why does everyone think you are? Perfect, I mean. Why does everyone praise you?” she continued to question. Why she was asking me all these somewhat personal questions, I have no idea.

“To be completely honest with you…I don’t know. I’ve never really understood that. I guess because I’m a star athlete…and um, I don’t know. I try to be nice to everyone, or at least the ones who are nice to me. I’m also not some tool who uses girls.” I admitted, not quite sure why I was spilling all of this information. She looked as if she was deep in thought, almost letting my words sink in.

“Well I don’t see anything too special.” she said smugly, giving me yet another dirty look. This really got my blood boiling. I mean I wouldn’t have considered this a heart to heart, but she was having a civil, normal conversation with me. Why did she have to change attitudes so quickly? Bi-polar bitch. I just rolled my eyes and turned my attention back to the front of the room, where Mr. Perrie was showing the class a map of North America. All I wanted was for this whole day/night to end. Now I get to look forward to not only a dreaded dinner with satin, but now I also have detention. Seriously when can my life turn out good?

 __________________________________________________________

 A/N: Hello lovebugs! I feel like a horrid horrid bitch for not updating this in such a long time! I’ve been going through a lot lately…and I still am, but I just NEEDED to update for you little lovelies! I know this chapter isn’t much…it’s actually rather rubbish but at least it’s something! And I know the song really has nothing to do with this chapter but I’m completely IN LOVE with her new album so….yeah. Haha, are any of you as OBSESSED as I am with the Red album? AND Little Things?!!!?!?!?!?!?!♥♥♥ Legit Hazza’s solo in that song describes me perfectly! I promise the drama will come with the next chappie! WHICH will be coming way sooner than this one took! I will never make you guys wait this long for an update ever again! I’m sorry and I hope you all can forgive me! Pweeeeeaaaaassssssseeeeee comment/vote/fan! Love you guys.xx