Chapter 19: Dancing, Crowded Thoughts & Liam Payne

Esme’s POV

It was finally Friday again and I was in my safe place; dancing.

“Alright can you run through that number one more time?” Ms. Stella asked as she rewound the music. When she pressed play I began the movements, letting my feet take control of my body. All of my steps were in fluid motion, moving along with the music, until I tripped over my own feet; landing myself straight on my butt. My cheeks flushed red in embarrassment, and I stood back up again.

“Es are you alright dear? This is so unlike you. You aren’t usually one to make so many mistakes in one number.” She paused the music as I exhaled deeply, not even aware that I had been holding it in.

“No I’m fine. I mean maybe I’m not. I mean…ugh, I don’t know.” I struggled, not quite knowing what was going on with me.

“Do you want to talk about it?”

I thought about it before responding. I can’t talk to my mother considering she’s never home, Holly is too young and naïve to understand any problems I’m facing and I lost the one good friend that I had. Wow, I seriously need to sort my life out.

“You don’t mind listening to a whiny teenage girl’s problems?” I asked all too sarcastically, slightly wondering why she hadn’t given up on me like everyone else in my life has. She giggled at my words, giving me all the reassurance I needed to know that she meant what she said.

“As long as you don’t leave out a single detail.”

We both took a seat on the floor as she gave me her full attention.

“I think…I think I may like someone. Someone who I shouldn’t like.”

“Are we talking relationship like, or friendship like?” she asked in slight confusion.

“Friendship,” I thought over my response, realizing I’d only be lying to myself and Ms. Stella if I didn’t change my answer. “Well…actually I guess it’s sort of both…”

She took my answer into consideration before responding.

“Okay and why exactly ‘shouldn’t’ you like said person?”

“This might sound shallow and a bit superficial to you, but you would understand if you went to my school. He’s a jock, and he’s smart, and one of the nicest guys that I have ever met.”

“Um I’m not hearing anything negative sweetie, wouldn’t those qualities give you more of a reason to like him?” she was beyond confused, and I just hoped that after I finished my explanation she might see the situation I’m currently in.

“You didn’t let me finish. Then there’s me; the ‘loner’, the ‘bad girl’, the ‘bitch’. We could never go out; it would be like mixing fire and gasoline. Not to mention up until a week ago, I was a complete and utter bitch to him; he would never even consider being interested in me.” She bit her lower lip, analyzing my information.

“This wouldn’t happen to be that Liam fellow that you had over for dinner is it?”

“Maybe…”

She smirked at me, pausing before she spoke again.

“Listen, sweetheart, if you truly like this boy don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t be with him. Cliques as well as some rules are meant to be broken, and you aren’t any of those things that you described yourself as. I’ve known you since you were just a little toddler. Do you march to the beat of your own drum sometimes? Yes, but don’t we all? You are an amazing girl with a kind heart who is too afraid to show her real self. If Liam is as nice as you say he is, then he would like you for the real you. Don’t give up before you put your all into it, okay?” I processed her words, really letting it sink in. I appreciate what she said, but at the same time I don’t know if I can believe it. Everyone I know has either judged me or continues to judge me. I constantly have my guard up and I don’t know how to let it down. I don’t know how to trust people.

“We’ll see. But thank you; it means a lot that you actually listened to me.” She leaned over and wrapped me in a hug, a real hug, one that a mother would give a daughter. And I realized that Ms. Stella is more of a mother to me than my mum could ever be. Is that sad?

“Anytime darling, whenever you need to talk I’m only a phone call away.”

We both stood up, and she grabbed her things before we walked down the stairs and exited through the garage door. I spotted a tan Jeep Grand Cherokee in the driveway and I stopped dead in my tracks.

“You alright Esme?” Ms. Stella asked, turning to look at me.

I saw Liam step out of his car, and he immediately spotted me. He gave me a friendly wave along with a smile. It was when he started walking towards me that my breath hitched in my throat. Nobody and I mean nobody knows that I dance. And I wanted it to stay that way.

“Is that him?” Ms. Stella whispered giddily to me as he approached us. I nodded meekly as she gave me a cheeky smirk.

“Hey Es,” he greeted me with a smile, leaning in for a hug. I returned his gesture, snaking my arms loosely around his back. The hug ended just as quickly as it started and I took a tiny step back.

“H-hi Liam.” I greeted back, trying to hide my nervousness.

“Who’s this?” he asked curiously looking at Ms. Stella and then back at me.

“It’s um, it’s my, um,” I stuttered horribly, trying to either think of an excuse or if I should tell him the truth.

“I’m her dance teacher, Darcy Stella.” she informed him for me, shaking his hand. I wanted to strangle her but at the same time I was slightly relieved.

“I didn’t know you were a dancer.” He said, mildly shocked but also seemingly impressed. I lightly blushed, trying to avoid his lingering gaze. Why am I acting like such a girl?

“She’s been dancing since she was about 4.” Ms. Stella informed him proudly.

“Well then you must be good; I would love to see you dance sometime.” He stated, causing my knees to go a bit wobbly. Ms. Stella is the only person I have ever danced in front of.

“Why don’t you come to her next dance lesson? You can sit and watch.” She suggested, and this time I couldn’t help but glare at her. She only flashed a sneaky grin in my direction.

“I’d love to, when is it?”

“Next Friday.”

“Sounds like a plan.” He said turning back to me with a grin on his face. I smiled shyly back at him, almost forcing it.

“Well I’ve got to get going; it was nice to meet you Liam.” She said, shaking his hand once more. “And I guess I’ll see you both next Friday.” She said, clearly satisfied with what she’d done.

“See you then.” Liam said as she walked to her car.

“So um…what are you doing here?” I asked meekly, feeling somewhat awkward.

“Justin Bieber tickets remember? I’m picking up Holly and we’re gonna go get them.” He reminded me, jogging my memory.

“Oh yeah, right. I forgot. Um, well I’ve got to take a shower so you can come in and I’ll get Holly for you.”

We both walked to the front door and walked inside. I set my bag on the kitchen table and Liam took a seat. I walked down the hall and let Holly know that he was here; she came right out and ran into the kitchen without so much as acknowledging me. When I heard his car leave, I started breathing steadily again. Do I seriously fancy Liam Payne?

_______________________________________________________________________________

A/N: Hello Lovebugs! I know this is a bit short, and I’m sorry for that it’s just that I was really busy tonight and I’m exhausted and need to get to bed! But I hope you liked it regardless. PLEASE tell me your thoughts, opinions, and predictions! Pweeeeeeaaaaaaaaassssssssssseeeeeeeee comment/vote/fan! Love you guys.xx