Chapter 42: High School Musical, Smiling, & Truth

Esme’s POV

The week seemed to drag on more than usual; not getting any easier. It was finally Friday and I was a little more at ease knowing that in a few minutes I’d be in my safe haven; dancing.

I tied my hair up and out of my face, as I stared at my reflection in the mirror. I tried my hardest to wonder what Liam was attracted to in me. It couldn’t have been my big nose, or my too-far apart eyes; certainly not the purple streak in my hair. I hated the girl I saw looking back at me and I wondered who else felt the same way.

I shook myself out of my thoughts and slipped on my shoes. I walked out of the empty house into the cold January air. Once I had made it into the garage I descended the stairs, finally back in the warmth. I set my dance bag on the ground, retrieving my water bottle and iPod. I heard footsteps coming up the stairs and I turned around just as the door opened; revealing a very cold Ms. Stella and much to my surprise Liam in tow behind her.

“It is freezing out there,” Ms. Stella whined as she rubbed her hands together in hopes of getting warm.

“Liam what are you doing here?” I asked as he closed the door.

“I wasn’t doing anything, and I wanted to come and watch you.” He said as he leaned down and pecked my cheek. “Is that alright?” he looked from me to Ms. Stella for an answer.

“We could always use an audience.” She replied as she rid herself of her black coat.

“I’m glad you’re here.” I whispered up to him, hoping he believed me. And I was happy; I just still wasn’t used to having an audience while I practiced my routine. Though I supposed I should get used to it. He smiled down at me, quickly leaving a kiss to my lips while Ms. Stella had her back turned to us.

When she turned around she had a sneaky smirk on her face and she walked closer to us.

“Ya know, I heard that neither of you have had the best week this week,” she said, looking at the both of us. “So I came up with a little something to turn it around for you.”

“What about my routine? The competition is in a little more than a month.”

“And you’ll have more than enough time to get ready for it; you’ve already got it down practically perfectly. It’s time for you to have a little fun.”

I looked at Liam, wondering what he was thinking of this. He looked down at me and smiled. “I’m up for some fun.” He said. I shrugged my shoulders and nodded “Fine, yeah I’m in too.”

She clapped her hands excitedly as she ran over to the iHome where my iPod sat. She scrolled through the songs until she found the one she was looking for.

She paused the song before it started to play. “I assume you are both familiar with the High School Musical films?” she asked. We both nodded in agreement. “Do you remember the scene in the third film, when Gabriella and Troy are dancing on the roof?”

Again we both nodded.

“Then I suppose I’ll just run through it once and you two will be able to catch on quickly.”

She pressed play and ‘Can I Have this Dance?’ came flowing through the speakers. 

***

Once she finished going through the moves, I had it memorized already, and I wondered how Liam was going to keep up.

We got into position and she restarted the song. He took my hand and pulled me close, and we both took a step forward; our eyes locked. He kept one hand on the small of my back as we moved around the studio. Surprisingly he seemed to know exactly what he was doing. He lifted me up and spun me round, and I wondered how he did it so easily. Once my feet were back on the ground he twirled me around and we were moving around like before.

By the end of the dance I was all giggles and smiles and I was thankful that he showed up.

“How on earth did you do that dance better than me?” I asked, still trying to catch my breath a bit.

“Well, I have a little something to confess.” He said, smiling from ear to ear.

“What?” I asked in confusion.

“I called Ms. Stella earlier in the week, and I sort of asked her if we could do this. I had her teach me the dance; I’ve been practicing all week.” He spoke softly, meeting my gaze.

“Really?” I asked in amazement.

“Yes really, you lucked out big time with this him Es,” Ms. Stella spoke up, looking at Liam and me in admiration. “There is something else to that confession though,”

I looked at Liam, waiting for him to apparently finish the confession.

“Well, there’s a couples' dance competition next Saturday…and I was thinking that if you want to do it, maybe you know…we could.”

“You’d really want to do it? I don’t want to make you do this if you don’t want to do it.” I rambled on nervously.

“Es, if it makes you happy I’d do anything.” I could hear the truth in his words and I couldn’t help but smile.

“Just say yes and I’ll set it up.” Ms. Stella said as she started packing up.

I looked up at Liam, trying to find any doubt in his eyes. When I failed to find any, I nodded eagerly in response to her words. “Yes.”

“Great, then I’ll see you two next Friday?” she asked, walking towards the door. We both nodded. "Okay, don't forget to practice, practice, practice." 

When she finally left I turned to look at Liam. “How did I get so lucky?”

“What?” he asked, looking at me with a confused smile.

“With you. You’re amazing, I don’t deserve you.” I spoke softly.

He kissed me, lingering a little longer than he did earlier.

“Everyone deserves someone who cares about them more than anything.”

I could feel the heat rising in my cheeks as he kissed me again.

___________________________________________________________

A/N: Hello Lovebugs! I know this chapter is short, but it’s more of a filler chapter if anything. I wanted to give you guys an update, but I didn’t have quite enough time to sit down and write a proper chapter. But anyways I thought I’d keep this chapter short and sweet so you’d all at least have something to read! The next chapter Esme’s mom will be leaving…any guesses on what will be going on when she does? ;) haha. PLEASE leave me your thoughts, opinions, AND PREDICTIONS! I was really disappointed with the lack of comments on the past few chapters. I can’t give you good chapters if I don’t get feedback, so PLEASE please please comment.

ALSO I have a new Niall story that will be going up in a couple of days, called ‘Cop Car’ here is a little preview:

“I watched her from across the room; sitting there on the couch alone, her fingers nervously playing with the hem of her shirt. I had never seen her before, but in that instant, I knew I wanted to see her every day for the rest of my life.

I downed the rest of my beer, and conjured up every bit of charm and wit I had left in me at this point in the night. I took a deep breath and started my way toward her; squeezing through the crowd of people who were occupying every square inch of this tiny room.”

Please tell me what you think of that as well!

LOVE YOU ALL.XX