Chapter 24: Heart to Hearts, Frustration & Declined Calls

Esme’s POV

“Hi Hols, did you have a good day?” I asked, putting on my brave face for Holly’s sake. As soon as she got buckled in the back seat, I pulled out of the parking lot, heading for home.

“Yeah, one of my friends told me she’s going to be at the Justin Bieber concert too! Maybe we’ll see her!” Holly stated excitedly, quite clearly overjoyed at how close the concert actual was. I still wasn’t sure what was going to happen. The concert is in a little less than two weeks, and Liam has completely ignored me for the past week. I’ll be perfectly content with backing out, but if he ditches my little sister for that bitch, there will be some serious consequences.

“Oh that’s good, maybe you can have her sleepover or something afterwards.” I suggested, trying to cover any trace of doubt or apprehensiveness in my tone. The last thing I want is for her to think Liam has forgotten about her.

“Are you okay Essy?”

My eyes went wide at her question, wondering how she possibly could have sensed my negative mood. I glanced in the mirror, realizing my eyes were still a bit red and swollen from the little meltdown that took place only twenty minutes earlier.

“Of course I am, just a bit tired really.” I lied, hoping she’d be gullible enough to buy it. “What do you want for dinner tonight?” I asked, trying to casually divert her curiousness.

“Chicken fingers!” she demanded knowingly.

“Alright, I think we have some already in the freezer at home. Now can you promise me you’ll get to bed on time tonight?” I asked somewhat sternly, trying to assert my authority. The past two nights she’s somehow convinced me into letting her stay up hours past her normal bedtime of 9 o’clock. I was determined to put an end to her conniving ways to avoid a cranky nine year old in the morning.

“Yes Essy, I promise.”

I pulled into the driveway only to realize my mother’s car was present. As Holly and I approached the front door, I found myself wondering if something happened to my mother at work. Tuesday was usually the start off her 48 hour shift; she wasn’t supposed to be home until tomorrow night. I opened the door and let Holly walk in front of me, as I took her jacket and hung it up on the coat rack along with my own. I followed her into the kitchen only to find my mother in the midst of cooking dinner, much to my surprise.

“Mummy!” Holly squealed as she scurried over to my mother, who welcomed her with open arms.  

“Hello lovey,” she said warmly, as she scooped Holly up and hugged her. “And how was your day today?”

“Good!” Holly replied cheerily, as my mum set her back on the ground.

“What are you doing home?” I asked blankly, getting straight to the point.

“And hello to you to Esme,” she said sarcastically. I gave her a look of annoyance, hoping she’d realize I was in no mood for sarcastic banter. “For your information, I had Sharon take my shift for tonight, so I could spend some time with you girls. I thought I’d cook a nice homemade dinner for you two.”

“Oh…well I’m not very hungry right now, I think I’m just gonna go do some homework and then get to bed.” I informed her of only half the truth. I was most likely going to bed, but I was certainly not going to do any homework.

“Are you feeling okay honey?” she asked her tone full of concern.

“Yeah, I’m fine. I’m just really tired.” I lied, trying to avoid a heart to heart with my mother.