United: part one "Miranda and Landon" Chapter 5

United: part one "Miranda and Landon" by Stephanie Anne

Chapter Five

            The next morning I was in the kitchen cooking my “food” still half asleep. These are the times when I missed coffee. I wondered if diet soda tasted any better nowadays, did it taste more like regular soda? Well I only have water now. I went onto my tip toes taking a glass out of the cabinet. I filled up my glass in the sink and gulped it down, imagining in my mind that it was caffeine. But that didn’t help to wake me up.

            “That smells so bad.” Landon walked into the kitchen and over to the fridge

            “At least you don’t have to eat it.” I complained filling my glass up once more

            “Your steak is only a few days away.” He pulled the bottle that Bill had brought over out of the fridge and set it on the counter

            “Thinking about that steak is the only way I’m able to get this down.” I sighed and turned back to the stove, pulling the pan off the heat. My stomach flipped and I didn’t want to eat anymore, not that I wasn’t hungry. “Landon… how did the old man die anyways? I know it’s not easy to kill a vampire and he couldn’t have died from old age.”

            “To be honest, I don’t know. To be extremely honest, I don’t care. The lawyers just called me up and said he died. That was pretty much it.”

            “Do you really not care?” Even if Landon hated the guy, it was still his father.

            “Well,” His voice came from right behind me. “He did raise me and everything but I hated him. He deserved what he got and worse. I hope he died a horrible death.”

            I couldn’t imagine feeling that way about my father. I was really close with him and we did everything together, from grocery shopping to reading the same books. He was always able to make me smile even on my saddest days. “Watch out your vampire is showing.” I turned around to find Landon right in front of my face, he was getting a glass out of the same cabinet I had earlier. I was trapped, between him and the counter, while he got his glass. Once he had the glass in hand he stared into my eyes.

            “Would it be totally awkward if I kissed you right now?” He whispered

            “I think it would be awkward if you didn’t…” I whispered back.

All my senses were heightened, I heard him place his glass down on the counter. The slight squeak of his stupid dress shoes as he leaned forward into me. I heard my own heart beat, going faster and faster. Even with my eyes closed, I would feel where his body was moving before he even touched me. His hands ran up my arms to my face, then I felt his forehead against mine. There was a pause in his movements for a moment, then it happened, his lips touched mine slowly and gently. The kiss only lasted about five second before the phone rang in the other room, interrupting us.

            Landon pulled away; his eyes had once again shifted from red to yellow. He looked angry. “Damn phone,” He left me leaning against the stove, holding my breath. I knew in my mind that he really had kissed me, but I couldn’t believe it. His voice came from the living room. “Lucia, yes I’m coming, we said nine didn’t we?.. So you changed the time without notifying me, that a great way to do business… I’ll be there soon.” He came back into the kitchen, slipping on his suit jacket and poured himself a drink.