United: part one "Miranda and Landon" Chapter 7

United: part one "Miranda and Landon" by Stephanie Anne

Chapter Seven

I was back in my worst nightmare. Trapped, caged. Lucia and Bill were smiling happily when they locked in the kennel and walked away. I was scared the first time I ever went to the kennel, the first time I learned I had to fight. But I was more scared now then I could ever remember. Being torn away from Landon when I was so close to going home, terrified me. He said he would fix this, but could he? I was back in my old cage. I was just a number again. Seventy-one. The guard looked pleased to see me back in my place.

“Thought that guy took you out of here.” The wolf across from me, he was called twenty-three “owned” by a rather large set older female vampire, looked sad. I was told that he was the only one who got close to beating me in a fight. He only spoke when the guard left. He was a thin but his toned muscles showed through his tanned skin. He has been here a little longer then I was.

            “He did.” I replied leaning back against the cage wall

            “But you’re back here?” Twenty-three laced his fingers through the cage bars

            “There were complications.” I looked away from him. I really didn’t want to talk about it, or talk about anything. I just wanted to soak in my self pity.

            “I’m sorry.” He whispered. He turned his body away into the back corner of his cage.

            The bad dreams were back. It started off like my good one had, I was in the fighting ring with the bright light but this time it wasn’t Landon coming to save me. It was Lucia smiling evilly holding a collar in her hand. She laughed so loud I had to cover my ears. Then chains appeared around my wrists and ankles, I was suddenly being pulled into the light. I tried to fight it but I wasn’t strong enough.

            I woke up sweating and checked my wrists for marks. That felt so real, I was actually surprised when I didn’t find bruises on my wrists. I curled into the corner of my cage and pulled Landon’s shirt over my nose. It no longer made me feel covered or safe. It didn’t smell of Landon or the house. It smelt like this horrible place. No I had absolutely nothing to comfort me.

            “Seventy-one,” Twenty-three called from across the way. I looked over at him pulling the shirt back down. “The fight list is up.”

            I sighed. I knew there was no way Lucia and Bill wouldn’t put me in a fight. Not now, when they finally had me. “Who you up against?”

            “You.” He shrugged

            “You almost killed me last time.” I stated

            “I’m sorry.” He whispered

            “Don’t be,” I turned away from him “I almost wish you had. Then I would be out of this place.” But I wouldn’t have met Landon. Now there was nothing to do but wait for the full moon to rise. To wait for the painful transformation, that felt like it would kill me but never did. No that would be too easy.