19

ʎzɐɹɔ

———

- brandi -

i sat on the end of the couch by the arm rest and had my feet curled up beside me. colby flopped down onto the couch beside me and offered to share his popcorn. i took a handful and watched the screen as sam struggled to type in the video name on his tv. "have any of you guys seen this yet?" sam asked as he paused the video before it could even start. we all said no in some way and sam went back to playing the video.

about 10 minutes into the video elton finally showed the part where we actually got to the queen mary. when it showed my face something was horribly wrong. it was distorted and... "what the fuck?" i question and watch as my face just stayed distorted. "pause it." i demand and neared the screen. my eyes weren't lying.

"what did elton do?" sam stands up and walks over to me to inspect my face like i was.

"i-i have to go." i walked straight out the door without grabbing my stuff other than my phone. i kept walking and walking for miles until i reached the hospital. "elliot hawksin." the nurse led me to the room right down the hall and i entered it without hesitation. elliot sat in his bed watching tv. he still had the straps around his arms and legs. did my work not take effect? "hey." i whisper to him as i round the corner of the bed do stand beside him.

"hey brandi," he sighed, looking up to me with boredom. "long time no see." my heart ached as i just looked at him. "your work took effect. i'm no longer fighting with that... thing. they're still watching over me though. just in case i have another vicious outbreak."

"i-i need you to do something for me-"

"oh, that's why you came here," elliot scoffed. "come on, bran, you're better than that."

"i need you to grab my hand and tell me what you see. ok?" he shook his head violently, disagreeing with my wishes. "please, elliot. i think something... bad is following me."

"i can't. not right now." elliot looked away from me with hopes that i'd just disappear. "please brandi."

"elli, i... right now is the best time. if you're here... i can help you if you have an outbreak. please elliot." his head shifted back over, staring at me with his eyebrows knitted together.

"fine. but please, if they try to inject me... don't let them. it makes it worse." i nodded, slipped my wrist into his grasp. immediately, he let go, his eyes wide with fear. "i can't."

"what did you see?"

"the same thing that was inside of me. it's following you. it's... getting closer, brandi." both of our eyes began to water with trepidation. "get out of here, brandi. i'm serious. i'm weak." i nodded, kissing his cheek before leaving the room, and the hospital.

"hey corey," i say after he answered the phone. he stuttered for a moment while he talked to other people in the background.

"hey, where the hell are you? i'm at sam's place right now and they're all worried. where'd you run off to?" my eyes brimmed with tears as i watched the old people wonder around the outside of the hospital.

"i'm at the hospital. i-i had to see elliot." corey sighed over the phone. my heart cried for help as i made my way closer to the open freeway. "there's something wrong with me, corey. something i can't fix."

"what do you mean? what happened, brandi? are you ok? i'm on my way." the car door of his slammed shut as he lowered into it. "brandi, listen to me, i'll be there in a second."

"it's following me now. i can't put elliot in any more danger than he's already in. i can't eliminate it..." as each car passes, more encouragement from my mind pushed me to jump out into the open road. "i'm stupid, corey. i know that. i barely even knew you a couple months ago and i'm falling head over heels for you. it's cliche... i know. but now-"

"wait what?"

"i love you corey scherer. i want you to remember that." a purple sports car rounded the corner, and i knew now was a better time than ever. a beautiful car to take me away to... what i hoped would be a beautiful place. however, beggars can't be choosers.

"fuck!" corey shouted, his phone flying across his console. i went to stand in the street, but before the car hit me lightly, it slowed. i fell forward on top of the hood, barely hurting myself.

"dammit," i sighed, crying harshly as corey ripped open his car door. "dammit."

"what the hell? brandi..." he helped me off his car and set me down in his passenger seat. "why would you do this..."

"i-i didn't know it was your car. did you get a new car?" he nodded, not concerned with that conversation.

"why though..."

"what was attatched to elliot is attatched to me now, corey. there's nothing i can do about it. i would need someone like me." his hand gently brushed through my hair once he parked the car in the hospital's jam-packed parking lot.

"then i'll get you someone like that, brandi. you just have to ask. i'd do anything for you at this point," he explained while staring deeply into my soul, his hand placed on top of mine that was now scratched.

i had become his moon.