A Kind of Heartache the Others Don't See

"I was wrong."

Were the first words Sebastian heard, when he opened the front door, late saturday night. It wasn't really like him to be alone a saturday night, but for once, he was just relaxing. Until Kurt Hummel showed up on his doorstep.

two things raced through his mind, before he actually responded.
"Don't they teach you manners at that public school you go to?"
"How the hell do you even have my address?"

but what really came past his lips, shocked both Sebastian and Kurt.
"Come in." he said, stepping away, allowing Kurt to enter, and it was first now, in the light that he saw the tear stains on Kurt's cheeks, and the red nose.

They were completely quiet, as Kurt took off his coat and shoes, and Sebastian showed him into the living room.

"Aren't your parents home?" Kurt asked, and Sebastian shrugged. "They never are." He said, instead of the 'that's none of your business' that threatened to come out. He almost wished he had said the latter, upon seeing the pity that flashed across Kurt's face. He really didn't need that.

Sebastian sat back down, and glanced at Kurt, who kept standing, waiting for an invitation. He wasn't going to get one.
Eventually Kurt did sit down, and once he did, Sebastian asked the question that he was dying to ask.
"What are you doing here, Kurt?"
If the sound of Kurt's name, his first name, on Sebastians lips, shocked him, he didn't show it.

"I was wrong." Kurt repeated, and suddenly it all clicked.

"What did he do?" Kurt raised an eyebrow, confused at Sebastians worried tone, but Sebastian pushed that worry aside, keeping his eyes on Kurt, serching for something, anything, that could lead him to what Blaine had done.

He could never forget that night.
***

Sebastian walked outside, getting bored with the crowd inside the bar, taking in the scene unfolding.
"Sorry I'm trying to be spontaneous and fun!" Blaine through his hands up, glaring at Kurt, who looked devestated.
"I think I'm just going to walk home.." And though Kurt called after him, the shorter boy didn't turn around, disappearing in between cars.

"What was that?" Sebastian let out a laugh, making kurt flip around to look at him. "Don't even start talking, Smythe, I'm not in the mood." he said, and Sebastians suspicions about Kurt being devestated were true, as he saw the tears streaking down Kurt's cheeks.

"Don't start getting all bitchy on me now." Sebastian crossed his arms. "It's not my fault your boyfriend left you alone."
Kurt glared at him. "You have no idea what you're talking about, Smythe. So just leave me alone!" Kurt turned to get in his car, his sleeve riding slightly up when he opened the door, and in a flash Sebastian was next to him, grasping his arm.
"What the hell are you doing?! Get off me!" Kurt yelled, yanking his arm away. Or trying to, at least. Sebastian held on, looking at the bruise, that was easy to see, due to standing out a dark yellowy-blue against Kurt's pale skin.
"Did Blaine do this?" Sebastian demanded to know. "It's none of your damn business, so leave me the hell alone." Kurt pulled hard away this time, and Sebastian let go, watching as Kurt got into his car.

It wasn't until a few days later that he saw Kurt again. Blaine had gone to get coffee for them, and they seemed to have patched things up, he and Kurt. But Sebastian took this as an oppertunity anyway, sitting down in the seat Blaine previously had been in, making Kurt raise an eyebrow. "What do you want now?" Kurt groaned. "Blaine's not here right now, if you can't see that."

Sebastian rolled his eyes. Kurt wasn't making it pleasant for him to help, but, Sebastian was nothing if not determined, and he did want to help him.
"About the other night.." He began, and now it was Kurt's time to roll his eyes, but Sebastian silenced him. "If Blaine's hurting you, you should get out of the relationship. The sooner the better." He said. Kurt let out a sigh, and looked Sebastian in the eye. "It's not that simple. I can't just leave him." Sebastian frowned when he heard this. "Why not?" He asked, taking a sip of his coffee, keeping his eyes locked with Kurt's.
"Because it's complicated, leave it alone."
But Sebastian wasn't that easily defeated.

He kept on, for weeks, every time he could get Kurt alone, he tried to get him to talk, and if he didn't talk, Sebastian at least tried to get a look at him, to see if more bruises followed the one he'd seen that night at Scandals. But he never saw another. Guessing that Kurt covered them up somehow, he kept being worried for Kurt. He couldn't explain why, because he didn't really like him all that much. But he figured that no one should have to be in a abusive relationship. Not even self acclaimed Diva Fashionista Kurt Hummel.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Sebastian asked. About four weeks had passed, since he saw Blaine and Kurt arguing, and he'd done his research. Blaine had started and lead a fight club back at Dalton, so it was easily possible that he had the strength and agression to harm someone. Even someone he claimed he loved.
"I'm fine, Sebastian." The sound of the warblers name on Kurt's lips, surprised him. He didn't think he'd actually ever heard Kurt say his name, and it had kind of a nice ring to it. "Blaine.. he wouldn't hurt me." Kurt insisted. But Sebastian saw through his facade. He saw the hestitation. Blaine came up to the table. "Hi Sebastian!" He said cheerfully, sitting down next to Kurt. "Hey, Blaine."
He barely took his attention off Kurt, not even to glance at Blaine. "I don't think you're right." He said to Kurt, who grimaced at him. "You aren't either."
Sebastian took his coffee from the table, getting up. "If you ever change your mind, you know where to find me." He said, and with that, he left.

***

That had been six weeks ago. He supposed Kurt had ignored it. Or forgotten. Or that he really was wrong.
But here he was, sitting on his couch, with something obviously nagging at him.
"He..you... You were right." Kurt shook his head, dropping it into his hands, and Sebastian felt something he didn't often. He felt his heart ache, for the pain
that Kurt was obviously going through.
Sebastian grimaced at the words. For once he took no pleasure in being right.
"All along." Kurt added, voice muffled. "I lied. I... not only to you, but to myself too. I didn't want to believe that he was a bad person."
Sebastian sighed, watching him. "I'm sorry... Please tell me you ended it with him?"
Kurt nodded. "I did. Or, I ran out on him. I feel like a coward."
Sebastian moved slightly closer to him. "You're not, Kurt." He said, gently placing an hand on Kurt's arm.

And then Kurt began to tell him the whole story, the parts Kurt didn't want anyone to see. The parts no one had seen or paid any attention to. Until Sebastian. 

"He.. Yesterday, when we were at his place, he.. he.." Kurt took a breath, trying to finish his sentence. "He's been asking non-stop about what you and I have been talking about, and I've always brushed it aside, but I was irritated yesterday, so I yelled at him, and told him the truth, and he.." Kurt dissolved into tears, fighting his way through the last part. "He blamed me, told me that I deserved what he did to me, because I lied to him, and.. And that I shouldn't tell others, what things happen in private." Kurt was a complete wreck, and Sebastian frowned, against his better judgement pulling Kurt into his arms, and to his surprise, Kurt hugged him tightly, pressing close.
And Sebastian held him.
And for once, everything felt just a little bit better.
For both of them.