Pretending

"Just pretend to be my date" prompt. Caught at a social gathering, and seeing his ex, Blaine, Kurt never thought that Sebastian would be his saviour

Kurt leans back in his seat with a huff, eyes locked on the tablecloth. It's pretty, really, white, trimmed lace that screams sophistication. Despite how many times he's come with his dad to these things, wanting to support him in congress, it seems they have stayed boring. Worst of all - so many important people from Ohio are always here. Which sadly includes the Andersons. The moment Kurt had noticed Blaine, he'd redirected his gaze to the tablecloth, wanting to take his mind off it, off the breakup that had ruined them - ruined their friendship. He shudders, knowing nothing good will come from wandering down that road, even if it is just in his thoughts. He quickly scans the room again, before getting up and making an excuse to Carole and his dad. Maybe he can slip away to the bar. Yes, getting drunk definitely seems to beat having to stay sober the entire night - it might even make this dull event slightly fun. He heads towards the bar, resting his elbow on the countertop as he scans the menu, trying to find something to his liking.

"You know, if I were you - which I'm not, thank heavens - I'd take the Shirley Temple." A voice, far too familiar croons into his ear, smirk evident in his tone. Kurt casts one glance over his shoulder and decides he really can't find something to drink fast enough. "Shut up, Smythe." Is the only thing he can muster up at the moment. He ignores the grin that spreads maliciously on Sebastian's face when he can't quite think of a comeback. Kurt rolls his eyes, turning to face him completely. He only realises this is a bad idea when he turns and finds himself chest to chest with the Dalton alum. "And I haven't been drinking Shirley Temples for a long time," he sneers viciously.

"If you say so, Princess." Sebastian says airily, stepping back with a grim look on his face, as if being this close to Kurt, is absolutely repulsing to him.

"What're you doing here anyway?" Kurt inquires, crossing his arms.

"I'm here to pick daisies and hop around in a meadow - why the fuck do you think I'm here, Hummel?" Sebastian replied with a roll of his eyes, grating Kurt's insides slowly.

"Probably to find a bathroom to molest someone in," he quipped easily, before turning back to his menu. "Now, as *pleasurable* as this has been, I have a drink with my name on it."

Sebastian raises a semi-impressed eyebrow at his response, grinning slightly. "You're a bitch," he replies.

"Oh really? I hadn't realised." Kurt deadpans as he looks through the menu again, ordering up a drink. Once it's there in front of him, he fumbles for his wallet, but is stopped by a hand to his arm. Without a word, Sebastian presses a wad of cash into the bartender's hand. Kurt's brow furrows as he studies his facial features, unable to read his poker face.

"So, why're you drinking anyway?" Sebastian asks nonchalantly, eyes doing a quick onceover of Kurt's stance, making the latter wish to cover up and move away, not wanting Sebastian's eyes anywhere on him - even if they aren't filled with that predatory leer, he's seen so many times, especially back when he was wanting to get into his boyfriend's pants. The exact boyfriend, whose fault it was that he was hiding up here, by the bar, instead of being seated at the table with his family. By instinct, his eyes search towards where Blaine is seated, seemingly small beside his father. Horrid man, Kurt's brain supplies once he notices him. It would seem Sebastian's gaze had followed his, because he once again speaks:

"Ah, I see. Not comfortable with the in-laws?" He teased, making Kurt's stomach furl together tightly.

"They're not my in-laws," he replies tersely, his eyes darting away from Blaine's table to try throw the other man off. "Not even in the slightest," he adds, gripping his drink, until his knuckles turn white, threatening to break the fragile glass.

"Bad break?" Sebastian's voice sounds surprisingly sympathetic, causing Kurt's head to perk up, eyes scanning over his face in confusion. "You could say that..." He mumbled quietly, unable to bring his voice up to more than just that. "And you're stuck having to play nice?" Sebastian asks, amusement dancing in his eyes.

"Pretty much," Kurt replies, shrugging. "There's nothing else I can do, not here."

Sebastian raises an eyebrow, a grin that Kurt doesn't exactly appreciate spreading across his face. "Well..." He begins, trailing off the end of his sentence.

"Well, what?" Kurt asks, suddenly curious as to what he is thinking.

"Pretend to be my date," Sebastian says, nonchalantly, though he wiggled his eyebrows, leading Kurt to believe that he thoroughly enjoys making him uncomfortable. He nearly chokes on his drink, hacking violently when the smooth liquid goes down the wrong pipe.

"Excuse me?" he asks, wincing, and slapping Sebastians hand away when the latter hits his back hard as if to assist, though he has already stopped coughing. "What the hell do you mean by that?"

Sebastian looks at him, keeping an expert pokerface, except for his eyes that are still sparkling in amusement, now lacking the maliciousness that had occupied them previously. "Pretend to be my date," he repeats patiently.

"But you don't even like me." Kurt says, voice wobbling.

"That was years ago. Are you really going to hang onto the past?" He asks in a softer voice than Kurt had previously heard, teasing him. Kurt casts his gaze downwards. Sebastian does have a point. They've left school years ago, and their shared history is just that: History.

"I suppose not," Kurt says, setting his drink aside to cross his arms over his chest, uncrossing them again when he notices he's copying Sebastian's body language.

"So, you want me to pretend to be your date?" Kurt frowns.

"Are you daft?" Sebastian asks, groaning. "I thought that much was obvious. How can you still be confused?"

A furious blush coats Kurt's cheeks in annoyance. "I'm not confused," he says, though he backpedals at the look Sebastian sends him. "Okay, so maybe I am a bit confused! But can you blame me, you've never really liked me, or even just been civil to me. So why would you suggest this?" Kurt rambles, staring straight at the taller man.

"Because" he begins, "I *do* actually like you. Sure, you dress like a chick, and your voice grates my ears, and your taste in music is absolutely awful- "Kurt cut him off with a glare, "But you're your own person. And you're independent. You don't need to be hung up on some guy," he flings his hands in Blaine's general direction. "But if you are, I want to help."

"Thank you." Kurt says, dumbfounded by the fact that Sebastian has just paid him a compliment, no matter how backhanded it was. He reaches back to grab his drink, downing it with little finesse. If he is to play pretend, he'll  need to be at least slightly inebriated, or he'll  just look incredibly uncomfortable. "How..." About to ask how Sebastian wants to go about this, he is cut off by the taller male pressing into his space, wrapping an arm around his waist, and pulling him bodily away from the bar. "Come on, princess." He whispers softly into his ear as he leads him back into the centre of the hall, where the tables had been cleared, people of high standing now mixing with each other. Despite how uncomfortable Kurt had originally pictured this, he can't help but melt into Sebastian's side, relieved that he doesn't have to face this alone. No one really approaches them, except for a few looks which shoot their way. He catches his dad looking at them, confused at first, but more at peace when Kurt sends him a tiny smile.

Sebastian is a constant warmth by his side, hand curled around his waist and resting on his side, holding him close as they move through the room.

Kurt soon feels eyes on his neck, turning his head around to meet the hazel ones boring into his own. He searches for any sign of his former best friend in them but sees only anger and sorrow. Also, something which looks remarkably like betrayal. He turns back to face Sebastian when he hears his voice softly croon into his ear. "Ignore him,"

Despite being endlessly confused, Kurt listens to him, and turns his attention back to the Dalton alum. For a moment they share a smile, and even though Kurt knows it's just pretend, it feels good for now.