Chapter 20

They weren't walking for long before Nina stopped in front of a large, ornate building. It resembled the castles from their world, yet it was vastly different in structure. The walls appeared to be made mostly of vines and wood, with glass embedded in a mosaic style. The palace glowed in the waning sunlight and Andreas had the fleeting thought that someone might be blinded by the shine were the sun at its highest peak.

As before, the image shifted in his mind and he was... treated... to the real sight of the palace. Like everything else, it appeared rotten and burnt. It still shone with the same luminance, but there was a dark, eerie undertone that made Andreas feel oddly at home. He smiled at the thought. Perhaps he should've been born as a fae. He, after all, had a dark true nature as well/

It wasn't long before the glamor repaired itself and the bright and pretty scene returned. Andreas sighed. He was curious why he was able to see through the glamor, but knew better than to ask Nina. Judging by her earlier reactions, it was better if she believed they were all under the influence of the faen glamor. Though, he felt quite proud that his little witch was able to see through it. It meant all his suspicions about her were true. She was more powerful than he previously imagined/

Was that why she was displaying all this fatigue lately then? Why her eyes continued to glow even now? He needed answers, and not for himself, but for her. He didn't want to have to worry about her while Kalen's life was still on the line. Worrying about her was too distracting. He knew that if it came down to a choice between Lana and Kalen, he would choose Lana, and then hate himself for it later.

She turned her gaze from the palace to him and offered him a very tiny smile. Her eyes were taking on a slightly brighter blue sheen which didn't serve to ease Andreas' worry.

Casian stepped in next to Andreas. "I have a bad feeling about this," he said so quietly that Andreas barely heard him.

"A little too late for that now, isn't it?

"Keep an eye on Lana. I've been noticing Nina looking at her weirdly and I don't trust her."

"I thought you and the little fly were friends."

"I'm not so sure her intentions are pure. Better safe than sorry."

Andreas nodded and kept his eyes on Lana, never once letting them stray.

***

Leita walked up to me, placing her hand on my back and leaning in so that I could feel her breath on my neck. I tried not to cringe away. "Relax, Lana, I just need to talk and make sure the fly can't hear us." Her voice was so soft that I could barely hear her. I nodded.

"Good. I noticed you could see through the glamor. That's very good. Nina is up to something, I'm not sure what, but she has a wicked glint in her eyes. She's had it since we arrived in the woods and it hasn't gone away. Do no indicate to her that you see through the glamor. I have a feeling she's looking for a reason to get rid of you. She needs to continue believing that you are weak and helpless, okay? Go lean on Andreas again. If she gets even the slightest idea what the blue sheen in your eyes could mean, you might be in danger."

I swallowed and turned to the mermaid. She stepped away from me, winked and headed off to join Mallory, Raphael, and Roxi. Andreas was at my side in an instant. "What was that about?"

I reached out for his arm and he extended it to me without protest. I pulled him closer, pretending like I was about to kiss him. "She told me to pretend to be weak because she suspects Nina is up to something." Andreas' lips brushed over my chin before he pulled back and I was left feeling breathless. He circled an arm around my waist and forced me to lean into him.