Chapter 15

Kalen was standing before me. A healthy Kalen. Moments before I was in Andreas' arms, unable to hold on to consciousness for any longer. My body was humming with a strange and unfamiliar energy. It hadn't stopped when I entered the dream world with Kalen. His expression was concerned. I had been unconscious in a dream. Something was wrong with me. But what? And exactly how dangerous was it? Kalen's stance still didn't relax.

"Lana, your eyes are sapphire. They are a brighter blue than I've ever seen them," he remarked, his voice grave.

I pinched my eyes shut, trying to shake away the feeling to no avail. The energy kept buzzing, kept humming in my veins. It became difficult to breath.  It was overwhelming. Too much. Too much. I didn't know how much more I could take.

I tried to will myself to normal. Kalen was here with me! I couldn't waste that time like this. He pulled me into his side, holding me close, comforting me. "Lana, you need to calm down."

"But I don't know what's wrong or what's causing this!" I yelled with a wavering voice.

"It's okay, Lana, just breathe. Just breathe. Everything will be fine. Nothing or nobody is going to hurt you." His voice was gentle, calm, but I couldn't relax. My breaths kept coming in shallow gasps. He kept repeating his words over and over again. I tried doing as he instructed. I breathed in a deep breath and released it slowly. Again and again.

Gradually my heart started beating at a normal rhythm and my breathing fell into a normal pattern.  I opened my eyes again, hoping that they have returned to normal as well. Kalen pulled back and studied me, his eyebrows still risen in concern.

"You seem to have calmed down, but your eyes are still blue, Lana."

I balled my hands into fists to keep that information from causing a reaction in me again. I force my breaths to remain even. The energy was still stirring beneath the surface, a presence that I didn't want to get familiar with, but at least for now it was subdued. Why were my eyes blue? They never changed unless I was performing a spell or my emotions were going out of control. None of that was occurring before I fainted. And why were they still blue even in the dream realm?

Concern was etched into Kalen's otherwise beautifully composed face. I jumped to my feet and embraced him. He startled, stiff in my arms. "You're okay," I mumbled into his chest.

He patted my back awkwardly but didn't comment. I pulled away from him and tried to get a sense of how he was actually doing. "You are okay right?"

He smiled at me sadly. "At the moment I am."

"Kalen, what does that mean?"

"It means that this dream is the first moment of peace I've had in a while."

I frowned. "Are you in a lot of pain?" I asked, my voice cracking.

He cupped my cheeks, forcing me to look into his eyes. "It's nothing I can't handle. I'm more worried about you."

I shook my head. "No, don't worry about me. I'll be fine. But you are dying, Kalen. And... and I don't know how to help you."

He kissed my forehead. "It's not your responsibility to help me."

"Of course it is! You are my friend. How can you even expect me not to want to help you?"

"Something is going on with you, Lana. You need to take care of yourself first. How am I supposed to live with myself if you got hurt by trying to save me?"