Chapter 8

Andreas was hidden behind the trees. He had been slightly surprised when he saw Lana come outside so early with her brother. Pieces of their conversation had drifted over to him and he tried to tell himself that it was wrong to eavesdrop on her. It was wrong. But he did so anyway. He used a noise enhancing spell. And he heard every word.

His determination to end the life of the pathetic excuse of a woman that birthed Lana almost overwhelmed the desire to brutally torture John to death. Andreas was shocked at this revelation. His hands balled into fists at his side. No. The mermaid was not right and he would channel that determination in seeking death into proving the mermaid wrong. He could not be that attached to Lana. It was too dangerous for both him and her. Truth be told, part of him was terrified as well.

But all of that would have to wait until later. He would sort out his complicated feelings and figure out how to deal with the situation with Lana after he figured out how to save Kalen. Kalen had to be his top priority right now. Twilight was almost approaching and soon enough everyone would be gathered by the fountain. Andreas crossed his arms over his chest as he noticed the nervous energy running through him. He didn't like being nervous. Not one bit.

He watched as slowly the people who had decided to inhabit his house gathered around the fountain.  They were all locked in conversations and for a while all Andreas did was observe them. He noticed Roxi standing off to the side by the dragons, and Leita sitting on the edge of the fountain. Neither of them were chatting with any of the nearby people. He didn't know why that mattered at all. His eyes scanned the crowd until he found Lana again. She was talking to her friend. The girl that had come with Zane.

Andreas also noticed that every single person expect Kalen himself was out here, even if they weren't sorcerers. He wasn't sure what to call the feeling that squeezed in his chest. Perhaps he wasn't as cold hearted as he believed himself to be.

The last traces of sunlight disappeared behind the stretched of trees and Andreas flashed himself to the crowd, not giving them a clue that he had been out here the entire time.

"Time to cause the most unnatural lighting storm this planet has ever seen," he announced, flashing a crooked grin, his arms folded over his chest. He would not let on just how important this was to him and Kalen – his friend, his brother.

With a pat to Argento's head, Roxi walked toward him. "I still don't think this is a very good idea."

"Lucky for us, I do not care much what you think," he told her with a sharp look.

She frowned.

From the fountain he could hear Leita sighing. "For what it's worth, I agree with her. This is not a very good idea. But since you won't listen to reason on any accounts, your funeral."

Casian appeared on Andreas' side, rubbing his hands together mischievously. He gave both women a dismissive wave. "We will be fine. This will be fine. It will be fine. Nina's a friend. She'll help, I'm sure of it. They are just being pessimistic. If all else fails, this will still be fun."