Chapter 17

Nina stomped her foot and Casian suddenly couldn't get the image of an unruly child out of his head. Sure, he liked the petite faerie well enough, but there were some things about her that made him question exactly what her motives were. Surely she couldn't be as shallow to only want Andreas and himself purely based on their looks, could she? The wicked glint her was sometimes able to see in her eyes only served to confirm his suspicions.

Andreas and Lana finally caught up to them and it brought a very smug smile to Casian's lips to see Lana in Andreas' arms. He didn't want to think about how or why that happened. Instead, he choose to rejoice in the fact that it did. There was hope for his friend after all. Nina looked furious as she took in the sight. Had she really thought upon meeting Andreas that he wouldn't already be in love with someone? Lana squirmed in the sorcerer's arms, but he made no move to set her down. Not even when he cheeks flushed an intense red.

"Getting quite familiar there, aren't we?" Nina commented wryly.

"We're already familiar," Andreas replied without missing a beat.

The fae didn't like his reply one bit.

Lana rested her head in the nape of Andreas' neck, a satisfied grin on her lips. Oh, she was enjoying this too much as well. The thought only served to make Casian all the more giddy.

"Since they're here now, is there any reason for any further delay?" Roxi said, rolling her eyes impatiently. Casian made a mental note that it might be fun annoying her in the future.

Leita stood off to the side, bored, as she examined her nails. She waved a hand in the general left direction. "The portal is over there. You simply need to step through it."

Nina crossed her arms and scowled at the mermaid. "If it were that easy, fish, you wouldn't very well need me, now would you?"

"Well, it did bring up questions why you were here in the first place," Andreas commented with a sly grin.

The fae's nostrils flared. "Careful, sorcerer, or I will forget I like you."

"Your favor really is not something I desire."

"Okay," Casian interrupted before a fight broke out. If they were to complete this task with everyone's heads still intact, that would be great. Playing the role of peace keeper had never really bothered him anyway. "Shall we go through the gate then? Need I remind you all that we are on a sensitive time schedule?"

Nina didn't look happy about it, but nodded. She turned to where Casian assumed the portal was and raised her palms.  Her eyes began to glow an electric white and static filed the air. Dead leaves and twigs from all around them lifted to the sky and began blowing wildly about. A few hit Casian in the face before the sudden gust of wind died down and a large oval was glowing a breath away from where Nina stood. She stepped aside and gestured toward it. "Welcome to the Faen Realm."

Mallory and Raphael were the first to step through, followed shortly by Roxi and Leita. Casian lingered and Andreas shrugged, taking himself and Lana thought the portal next. Casian judged Nina carefully, his eyes narrowed. He had a bad feeling about this. A very bad feeling. But it was too late to voice his concerns now. With one last glance at Nina, he too stepped through the portal, wondering exactly what it was they were getting themselves into. Would all of this be worth saving Kalen's life? Casian whole-heartedly hoped so.

***

Eiet strolled into the throne room to find John already standing before the queen. The knight had a satisfied smile lighting up his features. Eiet tried not to let John's presence enrage him, but it was more difficult a task than he had anticipated. He plastered a delightful smile on his lips as he approached the queen.

"Your majesty," he addressed the queen and bowed respectfully. The queen grinned pleasantly and motioned for him to rise.

"So glad you could join us, Eiet. I have some spectacular news."

Eiet raised an eyebrows. "Do share this news, my lady, I'm quite curious."

"I have been notified of the location of Raphael and several of his accomplices. They were spotted not far from the Gynaen border, somewhere within the woods. Surrounding them should be no difficult task for you and your dragon lords."

Eiet's grin transformed into a real one. "Well then. Let's go hunt some magic users."

***

Izzy stopped singing when she heard the door creak softly. Her hand stilled on the now hot cloth on Kalen's forehead as her own head cocked toward the noise. She remain motionless until she made out the figure at the door. She relaxed when she recognized Zane and shot him a smile. The latter returned a warm smile to her and closed the door as he entered.

"How's he doing?"

"The same as before. At least that means he's not getting worse."

"They don't have much time to save him," Zane remarked gravely.

"But they will."

"How can you be so sure?"

Izzy smiled. "Because everyone who knows Kalen, cares about him. He has this way of drawing people in and I know that they will stop at nothing to save him."

"You sure have a lot of faith in people."

"If you knew Kalen, you'd understand... and you'd probably be on the search committee yourself."

"Instead, it's my sister out there."

"And my brother... and Andreas... you don't have to worry about her. Those two won't let anything harm her."

Zane smiled and sat down next to Izzy. "My sister got captured and almost burned to her death on Andreas' watch. Forgive me for not having much faith in him."

Izzy frowned. "You underestimate him. There isn't a chance in hell that he'd allow anything like that to happen to her again. He blames himself enough already. And besides, Raphael was the one to save her from the stake, and he's there as well. And my brother. If you don't want to trust the other two, then trust him."

"You are still very innocent, Izzy."

Izabeth rolled her eyes. "So I've been told. But, with my 'blind optimism' as some call it, I'm still the least damaged on in this house. Doesn't that say something about how our attitudes effect our lives? If we choose not to let things get us down, they won't."

"That's easier said than done."

Izzy sighed, realizing he was a lost cause. She glared at him before returning to tending to Kalen. Unlike with Lana, Izzy just couldn't find an easy liking in Zane. He was different, that was for sure, but honestly, she couldn't believe that any brother could leave his sister when she needed him most and let her believe he didn't care for so long. He might claim that he did it to protect her, but Izzy didn't buy it. From what she had witnessed from Casian and Andreas, real big brothers would throw themselves in the fire to protect their siblings they loved. Zane has not given her that indication, and she decided not to trust him.

Kalen suddenly jerked and the cloth fell to the floor. Izzy sat upright suddenly, watching in horror as Kalen thrashed violently. Zane moved in to hold Kalen down in case he might accidentally hurt himself.

"Go get James!" Zane yelled and Izzy darted out of the room. Zane was right, Kalen didn't have much time left, and that fact brought tears to her eyes. She didn't want him to die. Not now, not ever. But losing him might become a very real possibility soon.

"Casian, Andreas, Lana... please hurry..." she said aloud even though she knew they wouldn't be able to hear her.