Chapter 11

The next morning I awoke the same way I had for the last few weeks, screaming. The nightmares still refused to let me go and the crazy part was that I was starting to get used to them. Reliving my death over and over again began seeming like a natural part of my life now. Brief moments of peace, that was all I was allowed. I sighed and slipped out of bed, pulling on a pair of tight pants and a loose white shirt with a black vest over it. I was preparing myself for the unavoidable fight that was going to take place the moment I announced I was going on the journey to find this Fae who might have the answers we sought. There was no way I was staying behind.

I was halfway out the door when the sapphire pendant Andreas had given me on my birthday caught my eye all the way from my nightstand. I didn't remember taking it off. My hand went up to the now bare space around my neck and practically ran into the room to grab the necklace again. I quickly clasped it around my neck, my heart racing. There was no way I'd have taken it off. Had I really been in such a stupor last night that I had no recollection of my actions? Could it have been the dreams that were affecting me so badly these last few days? It was undeniable that something was going on with me, I just hoped it had an easy explanation. Sleep deprivation was an easy explanation.

My thoughts were still faraway when I walked down to the dining room. People passed me, must've said hello as well, but nothing registered in my mind. The only thing that I could focus on was that there was something wrong with me. I hoped I was wrong. I really did.

"Lana, are you okay?" Roxi asked, her hand on my shoulder. I hadn't even registered that I was in her company, let alone when her hand found my arm. I startled out of my head, suddenly very grateful toward the dragon lady. I placed my hand over hers with a grateful smile.

"I'm fine. Just a little tired. Thanks for waking me," I said with a small laugh. Roxi wasn't buying it. 

Her eyes narrowed suspiciously and I put on my best act at appearing normal. I caught Andreas staring at me with the same suspicious carefully veiled in his own eyes. Convincing them to let me go with on the journey might be harder than I had anticipated. Great.

Roxi and I make our way to the table, and Casian came to my side. He pulled out my chair and gestured for me to take it with a bright smile. I rose a single eyebrow to him but take the seat with a thank you. Roxi scoffed and pulled out her own seat. Casian took the seat next to mine, angling himself so he was completely facing me. He was staring and I felt like squirming under his intense gaze. Why was he sitting next to me today and not Andreas or his sister?

"Uh, good morning Casian....?" I said warily.

"Hi," he replied, the same weird expression on his face. I narrowed my eyes, completely confused.

Roxi leaned over my shoulder to look at Casian. "Is there something you wanted?"

He dismissed her with the wave of his hand. "Not from you. But I do believe Lana and I should have a conversation. It has struck me this morning that we haven't spent much time together, and I think that needs to change."

"Okay..." I replied in the same wary tone, my eyebrows furrowed.

Andreas walked up at that moment, placing his hand on Casian's shoulder and squeezing. Judging my Casian's expression it wasn't a light squeeze. "Casian," was all Andreas said, his voice carrying a warning.

Casian smirked. "Andreas. Good, we still remember each other's names." Andreas' glare was deadly. Casian casually removed Andreas' hand, not even the slightest bit fazed. "Now, if you'd excuse me, I believe Lana and I have some bonding to do."

I could almost see the smoke rising out of Andreas and felt a smirk spread over my own lips. I placed my hand on Casian's forearm. "Yes, we do indeed. We so much to talk about."