Chapter 12

Maybe boiled carrots will do. That's pretty easy to make. Sofia thought.

Actually if Charlie is dropping me off, maybe he can take me to an Indian restaurant. Oh craving rice right now. Should really learn to cook. Sofia smiled to herself.

No, what if he thinks it's like a dinner date? Oh come on Sof, we just finished work, even he'll know it's just a simple dinner to fill up our stomach! Stop talking to yourself!! She looked up to as the the doors of the lift opened. Ignoring the man in the lift, she strolled in.

Sofia started singing under her breathe.

Ok I love the song, John Legend is too good, but if I'm to meet Charlie, I need to listen to something more loud and upbeat, she thought whilst sliding down her list to choose a song.

Ah yes, Avicii, "Nights" She said out aloud.

The man next to her looked up. Is she talking to me? Do I respond? Actually, maybe she'll ignore me if I stay silent. Who sings at this time anyways and suddenly says 'Nights'? No, too curious. He slowly turned towards her. Eyes refusing to blink, body suddenly up straight and rigid, mouth slightly open, he just stood there staring. "No way." He whispered.

Sofia continued to look down on her phone, volume loud to mute out the rest of the world, she began reading through current affairs. Hmm I wonder if he's finally awake, should I turn to him. Awake? If he was asleep then he wouldn't be standing. What's wrong with you woman?! Stop it with the internal one sided convo!

"Oh my God! The damn injustice in the world!" She seethed without paying attention to her own volume.

"What's wrong?! Do you need help? Are you alright?" Adam hurriedly asked. Damn you Adam, Do you need help?'

Sofia looked up as someone touched her shoulder. "Sorry wha.....I mean who...." Close your mouth woman!

"Um no nothing's wrong, um I was just reading something, um well you know just wars, dead bodies." She somehow replied. Injustice, double standard, arghh, dehumanising people by placing a number on them. She thought darkly, but she could still feel her face burning up as she took out her ear phones.

"Oh I thought that...well thought that something was wrong." Adam responded meekly, burning up too. Well done Adam, mentally kicking himself.

"Well, um hi I'm Sofia, although I have a feeling we've met." Sofia pushed out the words and held out her hand.

"Yes maybe, I'm Adam. I used to know a Sofia once upon time." Adam smiled back, taking her hand and shaking it tightly. Good work Adam, back on top! Just keep it cool. He suddenly noticed Sofia wincing. Looking down to see the problem, he instantly let go of her hand. "I'm really sorry! I didn't realise I was gripping so hard. Are you alright?" Adam couldn't help mentally shooting himself this time. Before he could add anything further, the door opened. Sofia looked at him, gave him a small smile and rushed out.

"So much for playing it cool. You really are something Adam!" He said to himself.