Chapter 18

"...Seriously this is the last time. If you don't speak now, I will make it my life goal to hunt you down and-"

"Damn it!" Daniel breathed deeply. "I've really got to get a hold of myself."

"Stop hanging up. Just say it's you. It's not like she'll do anything," Lewis pointed out.

Daniel took a sip of his coffee and loosened his tie. "I don't know Lee. I don't know why I can't respond. It's like someone just pulled my tongue."

"I think the term you're looking for is 'cat's got your tongue' or 'tongue tied'? Look Daniel you've got nothing to lose," Lewis encouraged.

"You're right Lee. I mean we're both adults now. Right?"

"Just make the call! I've never seen you this nervous. Not even in court! And quite frankly, it's annoying," Lewis answered honestly.

Daniel stood up once again, stretched and prepared for the next round of calls.

"It's ringing, do you think she'll pick up?" He pressed down on the speaker once again and turned to Lewis. Lewis looked up and shrugged his shoulders, then went straight back to his reading.

"Hello. Sofia Jakes speaking." Sofia answered on the other line.

"Hi, Sofia?" Daniel mumbled.

"Yes speaking. How can I help?" Sofia returned.

"Well it's me, you know Daniel. I mean you probably don't remember me, but still, it's me." Daniel stood up gripping his phones tightly, listening intently.

After what seemed like hours for Daniel, Sofia replied, "Daniel? I'm deeply sorry, but I need to ask for your surname." Obvious annoyance spread across Daniel's face. "You see I've come across a lot of Daniels. Some good, others I prefer to stay clear of." She answered bitterly.

Daniel winced at her tone, "It's Daniel, the guy you had Science with in Secondary School." Silence engulfed on the other end. "Um hello....Sof are you still there? Hello?"

"How'd you get my number?" To the point, typical Sof, Daniel thought with a smile.

"Well I have your business card. I assume you have a personal number. But unfortunately I've been stuck with this," Daniel replied, hoping Sofia got the message and would pass on her number.

"Oh. Well hi Daniel. Yes I do remember you. So if you have my business card, calling my business phone, I assume this call is related to business?" She attempted to lengthen the last word.

"Great. No, it's not a business call. I just wanted to ask whether you wanted coffee. I mean I saw you in court the other day. You were amazing."

"Tut tut" Lewis shook his head.

Daniel, looking down at Lewis mimed "What do you expect me to say?"

Sofia slowly attempted to decline his offer, "Thanks Daniel, it wasn't exactly amazing. Normal day at court. I've been loaded with work at the moment, so won't be able to make even for coffee."

"Come on Sof, old classmates? At least let me have your number?" Not bad Daniel, 'classmate'! He thought to himself.

"Oh well um..." She hesitated. "Ok...do you have a pen and paper? Or should I just text it to this number?" She asked

"No no, don't text it, you'll probably forget. I mean like you said, you're busy right?"

"Yes I am, ok then."

"One sec," Daniel took out a small pad and pen from within his blazer pocket and scribbled down the number. "Thanks Sof, I look forward to seeing you again. When you're free that is."

"Yes me too. Ok um so bye now." She hung up.

"Bye," Daniel replied as he put his pen, pad and phone back into his pocket. "Perfect," he allowed his smile to widen across his face. "Lee, I know you were straining your ears regardless where your eyes were focussing."

"Yes, I admit. It's on speaker, why was it so damn quiet? So it worked out? She'll meet up with you?" He looked up staring straight at Daniel with amusement in his voice.

Eyes downcast, Daniel replied, "No. She said she's been busy." Why Sof? I just want to apologise. Only then I can leave you alone!

"How do you know she didn't give you a fake number?"

"I'm a lawyer Lee, I can tell if she tried to give me a fake number. Her voice would stutter slightly trying to come up with a number. Trust me it's the right one."

"Ok let's see," Lewis replied with a smile.

Daniel taking a seat, sipped his coffee, "Day has barely begun Lee. Let's see."