Oswald The Lucky Rabbit

• Dedicated to Oswald The Lucky Rabbit

ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED IN 2014

On September 5, 1927 a rabbit named Oswald came into Trolley Troubles when Walt and his chief animator Ub Iwerks decided to end their work on the Comediesseries in search of new creative opportunities. The short, released on September 5, 1927, officially launched the series and proved to be Disney's greatest success to date.

Not steamboat willie.....well not yet. Well it was Plane Crazy in the summer of 1928 was the FIRST Mickey Mouse cartoon but was held back from release.

Oswald the Lucky Rabbit became Disney's first major hit in 1927.

In the spring of 1928, Disney traveled to New York City in hopes of negotiating a more profitable contract with his producer Charles Mintz. But as economic problems were apparent at the time, Mintz figured Disney should settle for a 20% cut, although large turnarounds were promised if the studio's finances showed considerable growth. While his fellow animators remained at Mintz's studio, Disney decided to quit his job and therefore leave the character he created.

After that is when he come up of the idea of Mickey.

Oswald however was in Universal making more cartoons in the hands of Charles Mintz. Animators Hugh Harman and Rudolf Isingasked Universal head Carl Laemmle to remove Mintz, suggesting they would be the ones to continue the Oswald series. But Laemmle denied their requests and even terminated Mintz's contract, opting to have the Oswald cartoons produced right on the Universal lot instead.

Walter Lantz continue to produce Oswald cartoons, after he took over production in 1929. And yes he change the rabbit's look, with gloves and a "cutier face."

He also talked! Mickey Rooney, June Foray and even Lant himself voiced him.

Did Disney ever get Oswald back? Yes! How you may say? Hopefuly you know, but if you didn't then keep reading! They did a trade with Universal.

The famous trade! February 2006, Disney CEO Bob Iger initiated a trade with NBC Universal in which a number of minor assets, including the rights to Oswald, were acquired by The Walt Disney Company in exchange for sending sportscaster Al Michaels from Disney's ABC and ESPN to NBC Sports. ABC lost its contract for NFL broadcast rights at first. Then, Michaels was interested in rejoining broadcast partner John Madden at NBC for the Sunday night package.

Thats when Universal transferred the copyright to the character to Disney, and in exchange, Disney released Michaels from his employment contract. The rights included everything of Oswald to his name to his flims, from Disney before, from 1927 to 1928.

It took The Walt Disney Company 78 years to get the rights of Oswald back.

So, you may say it really started with a rabbit, even though Mickey Mouse is successful and popular cartoon character in film history.

That is when people forgot about him! Oswald will now be forever remember in video games and Park appearances.

Source: Disney Wiki

November-25-2019 Update: Spell Check