Chapter 1

Well this is the first werewolf story that I have written. Any and all comments or suggestions are welcome.

“Caine’s Promise”

Chapter 1

(Abby’s POV)

Lightly touching the bruises that now marred my cheek making them stand out even more with my olive complexion I dropped my hand to my side. Taking a deep breath to will away the now fast moving butterflies in my stomach I stepped out of the bathroom.

“Well it’s now or never.” I mumbled to myself.

Taking slow and steady steps I managed to make it to my first class on time. Before I walked into the classroom I pulled the black hoodie over my head hoping to stop some of the stares and questions about what happened to me.

It’s not that I was anti-social or anything but how do you explain that you were attacked by a group of rogues. That’s right I’m your typical average werewolf. I graduated high school two years ago and am now attending some college classes.

Today was my first day here. I was taking classes in my hometown but after the attack my pack thought it would be best if I came to stay with my cousin who married into the Night Blaze pack. She has only been married for a few months but after finding out what happened was more than happy to let me stay. Of course we still had to make sure the Alpha was fine with this decision.

I was meeting with him later tonight hopefully he wouldn’t have a problem with me staying maybe even joining his pack. I didn’t have anything to go back to anyways. My family died the night that I was attacked. One minute we were having dinner the next thing you know they were everywhere in my house.

What’s worse is the guilt that I survived and they didn’t. I tried to save them only I wasn’t strong enough to stop them. I can still remember their screams as the rogues tore into them.  Feeling a chill run down my spine I pulled my hood closer.

“Move it or lose it, Abs!” someone yelled behind me. Making me jump out of my skin

And snapping  me out of my thoughts I turned fully intending to tell them to go to Hell only to find my friend Ace standing there smirking at me. I met Ace about a week after I arrived since then we have become fast friends. It doesn’t help he is around all the time hanging out with me that is when he isn’t busy with his Beta Duties.

Yup, he’s the Beta. That’s how we first meet he had to “approve” the fact that I would be staying in his territory at least until the Alpha returned.  Alpha Caine had the strongest, biggest pack in the Montana territory. His reputation always preceded him only it wasn’t for the size or strength of the pack but for his temper.

Marcus Caine was one person not to mess with at least that what I have been told. Since I am only going on what I have been told I really don’t know. Ace once mentioned that one of the pack members dared to go against his orders and let’s just say he was punished severely. Just thinking about it gives me the shivers.

“Hello, Earth to Abby, Abby are you in their” blinking bringing me back to the present day I realized that Ace was talking to me.

“Huh?” I questioned

Of course I had no idea what he was talking about. I had completely spaced.

“I asked if you decided on when you wanted to start your training?” he asked.

“I was sort of thinking that maybe we could start tonight, AFTER I make sure I’m going to be allowed to stay.” I stated.

Ace snorted like what I had just said was something funny. Yea, he would think it was funny he didn’t have to meet with the Alpha.

I was literally hoping he would make an exception. I didn’t want to go back to my old pack and all of the memories.

Just as Ace was about to side step me to go in to the class I grabbed his arm. He turned sending a smirk in my direction. Just as a few students walked past up to enter the class.

“Just couldn’t keep your hands off me, huh!” 

This time I was the one to snort. Don’t get me wrong he was hot but it wasn’t like that with him. Although I think he may have wanted to be. Ace was one that any girl would be proud to claim as their own. Standing about 6’ ft with dark brown hair and piercing green eyes with the body of a Greek god he would definitely catch your attentions.

“Can I ask you something?” I wanted to know.

“Sure, what’s up?” he asked.

I bit my lip hoping to build enough courage to ask the question that has been playing through my mind all night. Glancing down at my shoes I paused wondering if I was just worrying for no reason.

Hearing him sigh caused me to look up.

Ace was watching me but he wasn’t annoyed like I thought. He looked like he was concerned.

“I… I... Do you think he is going to let me stay?” I asked.

This time he smiled a genuine smile. Reaching out he touched my cheek with only to let his had drop as we heard to first bell signaling that class was about to start. Grabbing my hand and pulling me into the class so we weren’t late, we grabbed to first seat available.

Great now on top of everything we have to sit in the front row. Remind me next time to be early to class. 

I was about to ask him again since I never got my answer but at that exact moment the professor decided to enter the class. There was an air of authority about him causing the words to halt from spilling out my mouth.

Did I mention he was gorgeous? Standing at about 6’2 with the most defined body I have ever seen he walked into the class dropping his briefcase on the table. That’s when I got a good look at him. He had pitch black hair with the darkest chocolate brown eyes that you have ever seen. With the lit beard and mustache on his face he looked rugged and threatening. His lips were so kissable…Wow Abby where did that come from? Shaking my head to clear my thoughts my eyes snapped up to meet his only for me to be lost again.

Someone clearing their throat snapped me out of my daze. I turned my attention back on our professor.

He was standing at the front waiting to gain everyone’s attention. He smirked at me like he knew I was staring. Blushing to the roots of my dark brown hair I ducked down a little in my seat.

As he spoke I couldn’t help the shiver that ran up my spine at the sensual tone of his voice.

“Good Morning and Welcome!  For those of you who don’t know I’m Professor Caine.”