Chapter 16

~ Ava's POV ~

I woke up in a hospital bed, heart thumping. I look around at the bright, white lights in the cold room. "What happened?" I thought "Where is Caleb? Is he okay?" My heart raced even further, the thought of him being hurt killed me. Caleb, my rock, the thing that kept me together. I pressed the nurse button on the side of the bed and the nurse came rushing in. "is everything okay?" she asked with a nice smile.
"where is Caleb? Caleb Sheridan!"
"uhh, I'm not too sure, I will have a look" with that, she exited the room.

I prayed he wasn't hurt. I would be nothing without him.

About five minutes later, the nurse came back.
"well" she said "Caleb is unconscious but he's stable. The truck hit him quite hard. Witnesses have said that the truck was coming directly at you, but he covered you and took the force. If it weren't for him, Ava, you would be dead" I could feel tears starting to well up, he risked his life for me. He could die because of me. It was too much to process, a single tear started to roll down my face. Then another, and another. Before long, the nurse had her arms around me cradling me while I cried my heart out.

"will he be okay?" I asked between tears. "doctors are confident he will be just fine" This brought a smile to my face. I prayed to God that they were right.

~

After a few boring hours in the hospital, the nurse came in and told me that I could leave the bed and go see Caleb. I hopped up off of the bed and decided to give my face a splash of water before going to see Caleb. strides

I looked into the small mirror hanging on the wall. My face was dirty with a scratch of blood across the top of my forehead. I quickly got some water and wiped it all off so that my face was completely clean and I left the room to find Caleb.

The ward was busy with people rushing around to get places. I could faintly hear the sound of a radio through the speakers in the roof as I walked briskly through the large space. I found a whiteboard with the names and bed numbers of all of the patients in the ward. I scanned down the list until I found Caleb's name, E8, Ward E, Bed 8.
"Fair enough" I thought and searched to find the bed. After a minutes' looking, I finally found the location. I entered through the doorway marked "Beds 1-10" and strided down the hall.
I looked into the other beds, curtains covered most of them but there was the odd bed that was uncovered revealing an extremely sick-looking person. One bed had an elderly man with scars all down his arms and legs. He looked up at me and began to smile. I smiled back which only made the mans' smile broader. I continued down the hall on the way to see Caleb when finally I found bed 8. His curtain was shut which lead me to believe he was sleeping. I decided to knock quietly on the wall next to the curtain and hope for an answer. I did so and surprisingly, he answered.
His voice was huskier than before and a lot deeper. I peeled back the curtain to reveal Caleb sitting up in the bed. He looked terrible. His hair was a shabby mess and blood framed his face. I looked to his arms, they were also covered in scars and scratches which looked to have just stopped bleeding. Bright red blood still stained the blankets he laid on.

I walked over to him, he looked up and pushed a sincere smile.
"Hi" he mumbled
"I thought you were unconscious" I laughed "I'm glad you're okay"
"Yeah, maybe I'm dreaming" he chuckled "after all, you're covered in blood and dirt and yet you're still so goddamn flawless"
I could feel my face starting to heat up and go red. I hated when he did this to me, it was embarrassing. He started to laugh and glare into my eyes with intrigue.

Suddenly, unexpectedly, he grabbed my jaw and the back of my head and pulled me close to him. I could feel his warm breath on my face as he pulled me drew me in and kissed me softly yet passionately. Sparks of adrenaline ran through my body in shock waves as he kept the kiss going. His hand ran through my hair and he tugged at it slightly attracting me to keep going.
After a moment longer, we finally pulled away. He shook his head
"I'm sorry" he said regretfully "I couldn't help myself"
I shook my head too "don't worry about it" I bit my lip and giggled slightly.
He began to smile again.