Chapter 15

• Dedicated to Dolly <3

Darren POV

It’s been two weeks since I asked Mel about her joining the pack, and questioned her decision. As the days have gone by, she’s become distant. Every day we say hello to each other yet whenever I go to hug her or kiss her she either flinches away or moves, claiming she has to go. It’s almost as if we’re just friends who have never really spoken before. As the days go by, I’m finding myself distracted, just thinking of her. I try to hide my feelings from everyone but clearly they’re noticing.

“Hey there”

I look up to see Mel, Becca and Chase; Chase and Becca with cheesy grins on their face, and Mel staring off into the distance with a frown on her face. She looks so lost, and yet I can’t help but sink into the deep brown depths of her eyes. Both her and Becca turn around and I watch them saunter off. I hear a cough and realise I haven’t been listening to a word Chase has been saying.

“Finally coming back to us Dar?”

I put a fake smile on my face. “Sorry, just remembered I have uhh, stuff to do. Bye.”

As I go to walk off, Chase puts a hand on my shoulder turning me back round to face him with concern etched onto his face.

“Man, you can’t lie to me. What’s up?”

Eugh, why can’t he just leave me alone? Slight frustration starts to build up inside me. Putting on my fake smile once more I reply

“Nothing, just tired.”

I realise that we’re alone in the empty corridor. I turn around to yet again leave when Chase grabs my arm and yanks me back.

“Look Darren, I’m your friend. Tell me what’s up?”

Fake smile. “Nothing, I’m fine.”

“Now take that fake smile off your face and tell me the truth.”

I look at him in disbelief, then look down towards the floor.

“It’s nothing.”

“DARREN!” Startled, I jump and look up into Chase’s angry but concerned face. Before I even have a chance to reply, Chase jumps in.

“NO, I’M TALKING! It most certainly isn’t fine. Either you tell me what’s wrong or I go and ask Melanie.”

As soon as I hear him mention Mel, I feel myself break. I quietly mutter

“It’s Mel.”

I look up to see Chase looking at me with confusion.

“What do you mean it’s Mel?”

To which I explain how off Melanie has been. When I’ve finished, Chase has a thoughtful expression on his face.

“You know what you’ve got to do Darren. Remind her that you’re here for her. If I know Mel, I know that when she blocks you off, she is feeling like she wants to trust you but she can’t bring herself to do it.”

I think over Chase’s reasoning and look up and say

“I know what I’ve got to do. I need your help though.”

Melanie POV

Ah, home; finally! I rush through the front door, slamming it after me and run into the living room, collapsing on the sofa. This week has just been awful. Darren keeps trying to talk to me and I just can’t help but push him away. I’m just….. scared to trust him.

I stand up, picking up my bag and walk upstairs. I walk into my room and see Chase waiting for me.

“Mel, finally; do you know how long it takes you to walk from school? Freakin’ ages! Look, I’m bored – you wanna go out? You do, well let’s go.”

Before even waiting for a response Chase grabs my hand, shoving my bag on the floor, and drags me out of the room, then out of the house into his car.

We start driving. I keep asking Chase what's happening and where we're going but he refuses to answer. In the end, he heaves a sigh of annoyance and turns the music on so loud it felt as if it was bursting my ear drums.

10 minutes later and we arrive at a big wooden building surrounded by woodland. We walk towards the building, and Chase opens the door.

“Chase, where are we?”

“Come on, you gotta see this Mel.”

With a sigh, I walk through the door into the building of pitch darkness. I look around and before I realise what’s happening, I hear the door slam behind me.

“CHASE! What are you doing?? Let me out NOW!”

“No Melanie, you need this, and so does he. Turn around.”

I hear him turn around and his footsteps crunching on the leaves get quieter and quieter till they fade away to nothingness. Knowing this won’t be over till I turn around, I do what he said.

I gasp in amazement, and stare with confusion at the sight before me.

“Darren?”

HEY! I know I said I wouldn't update till someone commented but I thought I'd put this chapter up just for Halloween. I now will not update till one person comments - this is all I ask fo rmy entire story. Oh, and it can't be Sam Kenealy or thatsmybook as they're my close friends in real life!

Thanks for reading! :) xx